2 years in the making. Metal tune

HangDawg

bUnGhOlIo
Well, it's been a long haul with these guys (44 MAG). It's been over 2 years but we are finally starting to mix this damn album. I'll be happy when it's done.

Here's a taste

Wow! Two years to record??? Ah, never mind.

It's coming along nicely.

I think I hear a little bit of low end (or low mid) distortion in the mix. Your tracks are probably clean but when they are mixed together, (the kick, the bass, and the guitars,) they seem to gain a synergy in the low region that can overwhelm some speakers. What I am hearing sounds almost like a continuous low frequency "lion's roar" in the background of the mix.

The low end on the guitars was the most apparent from the start, which by themselves sounded great. But when the bass and drums came in, the "rumble" began. All that low end tends to just get muddied up and take on a character of its own (on the wrong speakers, anyway.) Perhaps a slight dip around 200Hz or 250 would tame it.

But then, that's most metal so, what do I know!

I like it otherwise. You are doing a good job.

RD

Last edited:
Beefy guitars man!

What I would like to hear is bigger, snappier snare. Maybe it is just buried a bit sometimes.

Nice job!

RawDepth said:
Wow! Two years to record??? Ah, never mind.

It's coming along nicely.

I think I hear a little bit of low end (or low mid) distortion in the mix. Your tracks are probably clean but when they are mixed together, (the kick, the bass, and the guitars,) they seem to gain a synergy in the low region that can overwhelm some speakers. What I am hearing sounds almost like a continuous low frequency "lion's roar" in the background of the mix.

The low end on the guitar(s) was the most apparent from the start, which by themselves sounded good. But when the bass and drums came in, the "rumble" began. All that low end tends to just get muddied up and take on a character of its own (on the wrong speakers, anyway.)

But then, that's most metal so, what do I know!

I like it otherwise. You are doing a good job.

RD

It may be the bass guitar. That dude has some of the worst gear I've seen. You need good gear for bass if you are tuning as low as these guys do or it just turns to mud.

/edit

It's most certainly the bass track during the verse. The more I listen. It's a combination of said shitty gear and what he was actually playing during that part.

metalhead28 said:
Beefy guitars man!

What I would like to hear is bigger, snappier snare. Maybe it is just buried a bit sometimes.

Nice job!

I think you're right. I'm cranking it up! :D

Sounds like you've really worked with them. What's the story? Did they come to you when they were 14 looking for that "heavy death" sound that you were unable to extract from them until they had a couple of additional years under their belts?

I'm not really qualified to comment on the mix...I could hear parts i was supposed to hear...I even heard a couple of harmonic doubled solo parts.

chrisharris said:
Sounds like you've really worked with them. What's the story? Did they come to you when they were 14 looking for that "heavy death" sound that you were unable to extract from them until they had a couple of additional years under their belts?

I'm not really qualified to comment on the mix...I could hear parts i was supposed to hear...I even heard a couple of harmonic doubled solo parts.

Well, kind of yes and no. They are pretty good players but they didn't understand what it took to record this kind of music and have it come out acceptable. They did a couple other recordings with other studios around here and they just sounded like ass. It was a combination of the engineers sucking at recording this kind of music and nobody really pushing them to play it right either. I told them from day 1 that we can't let this turn into shit and we'll have to do whatever it takes. So when I told the guitar player he needed to double the guitar parts and the have to be played EXACTLY the same, it just didn't happen. He never really played it the same twice. But I made him do it. They all had to kind of learn their songs that they've been playing for 6 years all over again. Not a bad thing but it took time. Same thing went for the singer. He never really thought the shit out.

I think it is coming along nicely though. And they already said as soon as it's done, they are going to start the next one. It should go better.

instead of coming down in the 180-320 frequencies, i would personally up the sub bass on the kick alone, perhaps throw a small 40hz boost on the kick only then turn down the volume to relieve some of the upper bass tension and as a result both the kick and bass will shine a bit better and im confident you'll be pleased with the results

sounds good, i know the feeling with really long projects.
what genre would you call this? it doesnt come across to me as metal (of which im not really a fan) but i like this :) kinda reminds me of send more paramedics

guitarboi89 said:
sounds good, i know the feeling with really long projects.
what genre would you call this? it doesnt come across to me as metal (of which im not really a fan) but i like this :) kinda reminds me of send more paramedics

Hell if I know what to call it. :D :eek: I guess it doesn't matter because it's a good tune.

This is a decent song. I typically dislike constant scream vocals, but it doesn't grate my ass on this one. I agree that theres some mud in the low end and that the snare needs a lot more pop. Double solo sounds cool. Kick sounds just about right too. Fix the guitar/bass mud, and bring out the snare more and I think you're good to go. :)

EL34 said:
I'm curious, why did that take two years? :confused:
Could be several reasons:

1) Some mucisians do not have the drive and motivation to get things done in a timely manner.
2) Money! Pay as you go. No money, no recording.
3) :confused:

Fishmed_Returns said:
Could be several reasons:

1) Some mucisians do not have the drive and motivation to get things done in a timely manner.
2) Money! Pay as you go. No money, no recording.
3) :confused:

Bingo. There ya have it.

Back