2 x M-Audio Delta 1010 software recommendations

Enchilada

Strange person.
Hi all,

It's been a LOOOONG time since I last posted here. I once had grand visions of running my own studio, however they were set aside to pursue a different career.

I'm looking at getting back into the groove again so I need some advice. I've had a bit of a search but my question is more specific than previous questions I had found and a lot of the previous answers may be outdated.

So here we go....

I have 2 x M-Audio Delta 1010LT cards. Basically I want to know what software supports the use of multiple cards and which software people here recommend.

I am a hip-hop producer (don't hate me) so I will be recording vocals and other instruments. I will also be recording soloists and bands so I need the software to be able to handle multi-tracking well.

My PC has a Phenom II X3 720 with 4 GB RAM (3.2GB 32-bit OS limited) running Windows XP Professional.

For music production, I have been using FL Studio for around 8 years. What I have been doing in the past is using the Edison plugin to record directly into FL and all of my mixing and mastering takes place there.

What I'm aiming to do is replace this function of FL Studio with more robust software. I do like FL and plan to continue using it for music production, I just feel that there probably is some better software for the recording aspect.

In 2006, I tried Ableton Live and Cakewalk, neither of which I like. I don't mind Pro Tools, although I cannot use 2 Delta cards with it :mad:

Sorry this is long winded, it's kind of my style. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Ench

Reaper

Would help if you explained why you didn't like Ableton or Cakewalk, though they are very different programs, imo.

Reaper

Would help if you explained why you didn't like Ableton or Cakewalk, though they are very different programs, imo.

I've had a look at Reaper, I just wonder if a program that has an install file of under 5MB can be much better than FL Studio.

I didn't like the user interface in either. Ableton I find particuarly unintuitive. Cakewalk was better, but not as user friendly as I find Pro Tools or FL Studio.

Is Cakewalk now called Sonar? Is it much different from the Cakewalk I would have used in 2006?

I agree about Ableton, I tried it out because I heard a lot of people talking about how great it was...felt very clunky and cumbersome to use.

If you are not going to give Reaper a shot because it's a small file, then sorry but you're an idiot. You can surf around this board and find a whole lot of people singing it's praises. You can try the full program for free, they trust you to pay the license if you're going to continue to use the program.

As far as I know FL Studio is just beatmaking software, if not then I am quite sure that it's main focus is beatmaking, not multi-tracking, so in that case Reaper will blow it out of the water.

FL can be used for multitracking, it's just not its strongest point.

I'll give reaper a go. Can it do rewire? If not I should be able to use FL as a VST plugin.

Thanks for your advice :D

FL can be used for multitracking, it's just not its strongest point.

I'll give reaper a go. Can it do rewire? If not I should be able to use FL as a VST plugin.

Absolutely it can use ReWire :)

Like I said, the full program is there when you download it, don't like it? No harm no foul, no money wasted, only a precious 5mb of bandwidth :lol: But if you do like it, be a man and slap down the $50, they deserve it.

I've had a look at Reaper, I just wonder if a program that has an install file of under 5MB can be much better than FL Studio.

:) Hi and WTF ? What the $%&* does the file size have to do with its performance as a multitracker midi editor ?

Man, Reaper is GOLD. I been using all kinds of DAW's over the years and it's just the best there is.

Dunno where to start, its that good.

I also own FL Studio Producer and it shits me beyond words. Cool Edit Pro shits on edison as a wave editor too. You can get a copy looking around, its free as its no longer tied to Syntrillium or Adobe.

If it will help you adjust you can download and install the FL skin into Reaper. Lol.

:) Hi and WTF ? What the $%&* does the file size have to do with its performance as a multitracker midi editor ?
I guess past experience. I've used a couple of free programs before that were all useless. The only software I have found useful have been between 150MB and 400MB.

I just had a brief look at Reaper, doesn't appear as intuitive as Pro Tools was for me. I just want to make sure that whatever software I decide on, it will be the software I stick with.
Are there any commercial studios running Reaper? I’m planning to run my studio as a business so I don’t want to be known for running inferior software. Cost isn’t the issue either. I have no issue with sinking a few hundred into appropriate software.

Bummer that there's no demo for Sonar 8.5, I wouldn't mind trying it out as it looks a lot different from the Cakewalk I once used.

I just had a brief look at Reaper, doesn't appear as intuitive as Pro Tools was for me. I just want to make sure that whatever software I decide on, it will be the software I stick with.
Are there any commercial studios running Reaper? I’m planning to run my studio as a business so I don’t want to be known for running inferior software. Cost isn’t the issue either. I have no issue with sinking a few hundred into appropriate software.

Lol @ Reaper not being intuitive.

You just had a quick look at it ? How long for ? Did you load any waves and midi and start editing and mixing ? You need to find out how powerful this thing is. DL the manual.

Please dont use inferior and Reaper in the same sentence. :mad:

Pound for pound, it shits on PT. :cool:

Why would any pro studio be running Reaper ( User licence $40, Commercial licence $240 ) when every half wit musician with no clue demands PT even though they have no idea why they want it ? Sure they can bring in a session from the M-box, but they could bring in the waves/data just as easily. Do you think the mixer dude gives a rats about the musos mixing skills ? No. Lol.

In a very short time Reaper has built itself a huge following. Protools has been around for years and this contributes to its mythical status. Just use Reaper free 30 days with the Protools Skin. Lol

On a very serious note. You want to start up a commercial studio in a home studio market ? Do you honestly expect to get enough work ? Not trying to deter you but just hoping you do all the sums. A commercial protools rig will set you back a small fortune. :mad:

There's plenty of work in the small city I'm from, there's only one professional studio here and I've scheduled a meeting with the (soon to retire) owner on Monday to discuss a joint venture. I do appreciate your concern though :). I imagine a lot of people jump on these forums declaring that they will be the next big thing in the industry. I am claiming no such thing, I do see that a good living can be made from running a studio. The bonus for me is that I will enjoy it :)
This is something I've been planning for the last four years. I am a musician but I'm also an accountant/businessman so my business plan is very comprehensive.

After looking at Reaper for a bit more, I'll be honest in saying that bang for the buck it is one of the best pieces of software available. Taking cost out of the equation though, it just doesn't stack up for me. I much preferred Pro Tools.

After giving it a bit more thought, seeing as I already like Pro Tools, I think it would be best to just upgrade my interface.

Maybe I should just invest in an HD1 and get it over with...

If cost is honestly no object, then stick with whatever you're comfortable using. I think the majority of people who use Pro Tools are just using it because it's the first thing people who don't really have a clue about digital recording think of when they hear "computer based recording". It's the industry standard because for a long time it was really the only option and after a pro studio sinks thousands into a system based on it, they have no reason to switch over...so Pro Tools is the "encumbent" I guess you could say.

But for somebody starting a studio now, handcuffing themselves with the proprietary software/hardware just seems ridiculous.

How does Reaper not "stack up" for you? Honest question. I had a version of Pro Tools come with my M-Audio box and never felt the need to even crack open the CD sleeve.

I have been recording for around 5 years and only recently tried pro-tools. I used Audition for a while but the rewire was REALLY buggy and I was never 100% happy with it.

I've been putting off Pro Tools because when I think of it, although I do think quality, I think the guy running the gear probably just didn't know any better. I do like it to use though. I just downloaded the demo of Sonar 8 and I quite like that too though. Much better than Cakewalk used to be.

Honestly, reaper feels unpolished and underdeveloped to me. It feels like I'm using Windows 95 again. I don't like the way it handles plug-ins at all and the UI is not intuitive to me.

Please don't flame me, I know that there are a LOT of Reaper fans here. It just doesn't fit with me. I'm not saying it's bad software but just because the majority of this forum is in love with it, doesn't mean I have to be.

A lot of people love Linux It's perfectly functional and free but it will never catch on in the mainstream until people warm to the experience. I actually really like Linux, but I never use it because I favour the UI in Windows.

I'm just waffling now...

I have been recording for around 5 years and only recently tried pro-tools. I used Audition for a while but the rewire was REALLY buggy and I was never 100% happy with it.

Those pricks at Adobe really spoiled a good app. No updates since 2007 and so buggy. That's why I moved on from Audition.

Honestly, reaper feels unpolished and underdeveloped to me. It feels like I'm using Windows 95 again. I don't like the way it handles plug-ins at all and the UI is not intuitive to me.

What dont you like about the way it handles Vst's ? This app is a resource miser. You dont like the text box layout of plugins ? The drag and drop folders? Have you checked out the routing ? Seen how intuitive ( and fast ) the dynamic split and quantise function is ? The auto cross fades with easily customisable slopes ? The Glue function is absolute friggin GOLD. The envelope feature shows all available assignable controls, quickly and conveniently. The cascading track folder function. The routing matrix.

Man this shits on PT it really does.

However. PT is a tactical decision as we know that customers behave emotionally and irrationally. They respond to the aura of PT.

Also, you will make more $ by the hour using PT because it is so slow compared to Reaper. :)

Please don't flame me, I know that there are a LOT of Reaper fans here. It just doesn't fit with me. I'm not saying it's bad software but just because the majority of this forum is in love with it, doesn't mean I have to be.

I am sorry but it does, where are you in Wagga, we will send some people out to have a quiet word with you :D

A lot of people love Linux It's perfectly functional and free but it will never catch on in the mainstream until people warm to the experience. I actually really like Linux, but I never use it because I favour the UI in Windows.

I'm just waffling now...

That's ok, you will fit in just fine around here. :cool:

I actually use two 1010lt cards with Reaper- I have been for the last 3 years now. Works great- I do the whole band live. But, I only do live instrument recording; no midi or beats or anything. I think any decent recording app will support the multiple cards.

Just out of curiosity, for those who have compared Pro Tools to Reaper, which version of Pro Tools were you using?

I've heard that Pro Tools HD runs considerably better than the LE or m-powered.

CFox, I agree, you are awesone :)

Just out of curiosity, for those who have compared Pro Tools to Reaper, which version of Pro Tools were you using?

I've heard that Pro Tools HD runs considerably better than the LE or m-powered.

CFox, I agree, you are awesone :)

I have used the Digi 001 and LE. There is nothing wrong with PT...it's just not as good as Reaper.

However, if you are more comfortable with PT then that's what counts. :)

I have used the Digi 001 and LE. There is nothing wrong with PT...it's just not as good as Reaper.

However, if you are more comfortable with PT then that's what counts. :)

Decision made...

I'm upgrading my delta to an HD2 system :-)

Back