2 x 12 cab or 2 daisy'd 1 x 12

daav

Flailing up a storm.
I have been planning on building a 2 x 12, i have 2 avatar hellatones to put in it (vintage 30s), one is currently in a 1X 12 combo, but i have several amps going through an attenuator then to it, so i use that combo as an open back cab in effect.

So on craigslist locally a guy has a great price on an avatar 1 x 10 cab, empty-- which can be daisy chained with other cabs.

So i am thinking- spend not much money and get the 1x12 and chain it with my current set up, or wait, procrastinate, and then eventually build a decent 2 x 12.

What will the significant difference's be in the sound with one open back 1 x 12 and a closed back 1 x 12, vs a closed 2 x 12?

Thanks,
Daav

portabiity and versatility are important. You could make one closed back and one open back cab...

or run one when you only need one and don't want to cart a 212.

bass players like me like to have options with cabs like that, since the amt. of bass needed varies with room size.

flexibility would be nice when only one cabinet is called for.

that said, i would prefer a single 212 to 2 112 cabs anyday. i think multiple speaker cabs resonate more. plus a 212 cab isn't much to move and is pretty standard for guitar setups.

In the end the guy dropped his price and the deal was too good for me to pass up.

The Avatar G112 is a sweet cabinet, really well built, and sounds great.

VERY different than the open back combo cab the other hellatone (celestien) vintage 30). This was a real eye opener for me to A/B and put together.

The open back cab is a bit louder, and much more pronounced in the highs and upper mids. Give the pronounced classic fender shimmery tone. The closed back cab is tighter, has more bottom, and responds really well to amp break up. My amps are all 30 watts or less, so i don't get speaker break up or really pump these cabs up, so no realy opinion there.

Both together are really nice, being able to play with spacing of the speakers, angles etc privides for some interesting variations wihtin the space (of my open basement studio). I might try to assemble something that will let me do a A/B/Y option as right now, i have three different amps, two cabs, etc.

If it is any help to those looking at different amp/speaker options, i will add this:
Compared to the stock speakers in both my Blues Jr and Fender Blues Deluxe, the Vintage 30's are over the top better. In particular, I would always struggle with the EQ on the amp trying to overcome the muddy low end, these speakers really make that a non issue.

Daav

Back