2 tracks at once

solo.guitar

I ordered an Audiophile 2496, but it won't be coming until around Christmas time or a little after. So until then, I'm stuck with a SoundBlaster Live 24-bit.

I want to record 2 tracks at once (a stereo recording of guitar). I'm not concerned about quality, just want to try it out. I have an Audio Buddy 2 channel preamp.

How can I do this?

I don't think the Soundblaster has 2 inputs (it shares the same jack for mic-in and line-in). Or does it have another jack I can use instead?

But I also have an onboard soundcard. Would it be possible to use both (one output to each soundcard?)

I don't know if you can have both soundcards enabled at the same time?

Or what software will support recording like this?

You might need a little 2 channel mixer with rca outs. That's how I recorded tracks with cubase sl and my soundblaster way back in the day. You pan one left and one right and you'll have 2 seperate tracks. The Behringer Xenyx 502 or 802 might be the route for you. The 502 is only 45 bucks the 802 is 60 bucks.

Well I'm trying to avoid buying anything right now because I'll have the 2496 pretty soon.

Just to make sure, the 2496 can accept 2 RCA inputs at once, right? So, I could record 2 tracks at once with 1/4" to RCA cables straight into the 2496?

solo.guitar said:
Well I'm trying to avoid buying anything right now because I'll have the 2496 pretty soon.

Just to make sure, the 2496 can accept 2 RCA inputs at once, right? So, I could record 2 tracks at once with 1/4" to RCA cables straight into the 2496?

Do you have some mic pre's, you may be able to do the 1/4" to rca thing with that as well.

jonnyc said:
Do you have some mic pre's, you may be able to do the 1/4" to rca thing with that as well.

My signal chain will be like this:

Microphones -> Audio Buddy -> 2496

The audio buddy is 2 channels with 2 1/4" outputs...so I have 2 mics hooked up to it.

So I could get 2 1/4" - RCA cables and hook them straight into the 2496?

in your softwear you should beable to set each channal to a source set channal 1 to soundblaster left and channal two to "soundblaster right" and then on you actual mixer just pan each mic to left or right that way you now have 2 channals. becuase you input is stereo and each mice does not need both left and right becuse mics are mono unless u have stereo mics which is highly unlikly.

I don't know if you can.

If you really have to, you could hook one 1/4" output to the Line In, and the other to the Mic In. (on your onboard soundcard).

But then you would be amplifying the signal twice (turn the gain down on the 2nd channel on the audio buddy).

You would also be using the shitty preamp on your soundcard.

But it should work.

solo.guitar said:
My signal chain will be like this:

Microphones -> Audio Buddy -> 2496

The audio buddy is 2 channels with 2 1/4" outputs...so I have 2 mics hooked up to it.

So I could get 2 1/4" - RCA cables and hook them straight into the 2496?

I'm assuming the 1/4" to rca would work.

solo.guitar said:
I ordered an Audiophile 2496, but it won't be coming until around Christmas time or a little after. So until then, I'm stuck with a SoundBlaster Live 24-bit.

I want to record 2 tracks at once (a stereo recording of guitar). I'm not concerned about quality, just want to try it out. I have an Audio Buddy 2 channel preamp.

How can I do this?

I don't think the Soundblaster has 2 inputs (it shares the same jack for mic-in and line-in). Or does it have another jack I can use instead?

But I also have an onboard soundcard. Would it be possible to use both (one output to each soundcard?)

I don't know if you can have both soundcards enabled at the same time?

Or what software will support recording like this?

The line input on the Soundblaster should be a stereo input. You just need to get a TRS Y cable for your preamp. With that you can take the (2) 1/4" mono outputs from your Audiobuddy and combine them into a single stereo 1/4" TRS cable. Then you'll probably need to buy a 1/4 to 1/8 stereo adaptor to plug it into your soundblaster. When you record you should be able to designate 2 seperate tracks to either soundblaster left or soundblaster right.
That is exactly what I did back in my very early days of recording.

Back