2 tracks at once = 2 preamps?

cincy_kid

Another noob question...

I want to record 2 tracks at once into Acid.

1 - My Taylor acoustic guitar going direct utilizing the patented expression system
2 - Micing it with a condenser mic in front of the sound hole

My current path is:

Mic >> Snake >> PreAmp >> SoundCard

My preamp only has one input so in order to record both at once will I have to buy another preamp?

Or is there another solution?

thanks!

Snake = XLR cable?

I assume the condensor mic requires a preamp that can supply 48v phantom power. I'm not familiar with Taylor's patented system, but assume it does not replace a DI box for plugging directly into a soundboard's line-in, so needs an instrument level preamp with no phantom power.

I am using an M-Audio Tampa preamp and a a DELTA 1010 rack mounted sound card.

Actually the dcoumentation says that you can plug the taylor straight in without using a DI box:

The 2007 Taylor ES is designed to be plugged-in using a standard quarter-inch guitar cable, which will work in every circumstance: with an acoustic guitar amplifier, a standard direct box, or any other guitar-ready application. The ES also is designed to be “Pro Ready,” which means it can be plugged directly into a “balanced line level input” such as an input on a mixer using a TRS to XLR cable. The result is a higher signal level, which translates into the ability to drive long cable distances without any frequency loss, due to the low impedance of the system. With this application, you can plug directly into a stage snake or recording/mixing console without the use of a direct box.

But I tried plugging a 1/4" cable from the Taylor to one of the sound card inputs but could not get anything. I plug the same 1/4" into the preamp and it works just fine. Also, if I figure out how to go straight into the sound card, it probably wouldn't sound as good as if it went through the preamp first would it?

The Tampa is a single input (Mic or Inst) preamp....so there's no way to plug both mic and instrument and record together.

Forget trying to plug the guitar directly into the Delta.
Those are Line level inputs, and while you could use something to convert your instrument output to Line level...I don't think it will sound good unless it was a box designed specifically for guitar type signals. The effort will just prove to be unimpressive...IMHO.

Just record one way or the other for now...I think you can get a nice sound either with mic or going direct into the Tampa.
There's no absolute necessity to have both miked and direct signals.
When you get another pre...then you can try that approach.

Go record something...have some fun! :)

I guess he wants to record from mic and guitar's line at same time for a better overall sound, so yes, you need another preamp. The guitar output DOES require a DI box or a device with an instrument-level input (builtin preamp).

I never tried that Taylor rig, so if it says it can go direct into a Line level input...give it a try, you won't hurt anything, just start off with a lower level when you first plug in.

As I mentioned, you CAN convert Instrument level to Line level...looks like they included that in the Taylor rig, so it's really only a question of how it will sound. I'm curious how it automatically changes level output depending on what it's driving...but I guess they sorted it out. :)

http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/02_ExpressionSystem.pdf

Back