2 Track analog or digital mix

fstrat76

Right now I track to Logic Pro and my tascam 38 and mixes are done in Logic. I am thinking about doing my final mix to go to two track analog reel to reel instead.

First, I don't yet have a two track machine.

Is it worth searching for a tascam 32? I see them on ebay and they are quite pricey and I had a bad experience with my 38 being delivered all banged up. I'd prefer to find one local.

Are there any other decks besides the 32 that anyone can recommend?

Can, or should I even consider, using the 38 for mix down?

Thanks!
Mike

nah, don't mix to the 38, not really worth it (i have tried something similar).

tascam 32 is a good deck, cheaper and smaller is the tascam 22-2, others to look for are the teac 7300 (make sure it runs 2-track 15 ips), teac 3300SX-2T (ditto for the 15 ips, 2 track), teac 25-2 (harder to find, same as 7300). there are probably a few more and lots of people love otari decks as well.

i would personally mix to cassette before digital, but most others would disagree.

nah, don't mix to the 38, not really worth it (i have tried something similar).

tascam 32 is a good deck, cheaper and smaller is the tascam 22-2, others to look for are the teac 7300 (make sure it runs 2-track 15 ips), teac 3300SX-2T (ditto for the 15 ips, 2 track), teac 25-2 (harder to find, same as 7300). there are probably a few more and lots of people love otari decks as well.

i would personally mix to cassette before digital, but most others would disagree.

The Ampex ATR-700 is basically the same as the 7300/25-2. Differences are: +4 in/out, Sel-Sync, No on-board dbx I. Be advised that there are no new replacement capstan motors for these decks.

Yup...Otari 5050, Tascam 22, 32, 42, BR-20, any of the Teac decks mentioned...all of those will have good community support. Do searches on craigslist for those brands and as cjacek (and others) always says, buy more on condition rather than make or model. 15ips 1/4 inch halftrack will offer excellent fidelity potential.

Buy LOCAL.

Back