2 soundcards = 4 tracks?

salty09

I am currently running a soundblaster love 5.1 with a livedrive bay. I have been able to get by using vegas pro with recording just one stereo track at a time with no problem . I have decided to mix down all my old analog 4 track tapes onto the computer. I would like to leave them as seperate tracks so hence not really mixing down but just transfering them to new tracks. I have a fostex x-34 4 track which has individual outputs for all four tracks. What Im wondering is i I can install an additional sb live card and use the left and right inputs on both cards to effectivly input 4 tracks at one time into vegas. Does this make any sense. Is there an easier way? I have never even tried to record two tracks on vegas at a time by seperating the left and right inputs. Any help would be greatly appreciated thx.

One word - no.

This question keeps coming up here...

First of all, SB drivers have no way of knowing which card is which if you had 2 in your system.

You cannot do that unless the card and its drivers were designed to work that way. Each card has its own clock crystal to keep time and unless they can be synced together, the tracks from each card will drift apart when recording.

More expensive cards have SMPTE timecode sync capabilities. M-Audio Delta series cards were designed in such a way that you can chain up to 5 together.

Well guess i'll be mixing them down then. Thx for the help. Once i get them mixed down gonna get rid of my analog machine was just hoping to be able to keep them as individual tracks. Thanks again for the response.

- Apparently you can use two SBLive cards in the same computer for recording, but one must be using the regular drivers and the other must be running the kx driver. I haven't done it, but I've seen it mentioned.
~

I've done it before with lesser cards ($15 cheapies) with Win98. It's an incredible pain, and there's no way to byte-sync the cards together - so, you end up with screwed up timing (mine drifted after about 3 minutes).

Trust me, it's not worth the anguish. If it was me, I'd try to find someone with a multi-input card that would do it for you (or let you use theirs), if you didn't want to buy a multi-input card yourself.

Thanks forthe replies. Yeah the last thing I need is anguish :) I have enough ofthat with my wife and I going to school fulltime while rasing 2 children. If only I wasnt a hermit and new someone with a multiple input card. Sadly my budget at this point wouldnt allow me to buy one andsince I primarlydo everything by my self or with the aid of one friend I dont really have the use for one in at present that could jusify spending the money on one. So I guess the altenative is to go ahead and mix the tapes down onto the computer. Thanks again forthe input! you savedme a large headache Im sure.

...you could bring them in, 2 at a time and try to line them up, but it can be a pain too. Might be worth a try though. Best O' Luck to ya.

Back