2 sound cards and SX?

Alejo

Hello to all,

I got two questions, and any help would be really apreciated.

1.- I am planning to upgrade my Pc with a newer sound card (probably the Behringer BAC 2000) , but I still want to keep the old one (Audiophile 2496), to use its inputs.
Is it possible to assign different sound cards, buffer sizes, ASIO drivers, etc to different tracks within a same project?
"Devices Setup > VST multitrack gives you the option of only one ASIO driver for the whole project.

2.- I have a relatively good external valve preamp/compressor unit that I use for vocals, bass and acoustic guitars, and a POD for the electric guitar. Do I really need to have a sound card with a preamp? Now I am passing the preamp/compressor unit to my cheap mixer to better control the levels, and to give some volume, and gain. I don't know if I am screwing the signal by passing it through the mixer, but the overal sensation I got is better, and the job is easier. This is something purely subjective and exposed to any critic, but I also think that this way I can control the rates of amplification of the valve and the mixer (to apply more "warm" or "clean" sounds) because the overall amplification will be the mixture of both.
Am I right in this last point?

Thanks in advance,

Alejo.

Back