2 SATA HD's.......Help Please.

ViLo

My new machine is up and running, WinXp Installed, 1 problem..and a few questions:

I can see the 2 SATA Drives in BIOS.
I can see them in Hardware in Win XP
I can not see them when I open "My Computer Icon".
I can See 1, the CD Burner and the Floppy.

If I check in BIOS and In the Hardware window in Win XP the 2 Drives have the same ID Number...

What do I need to Do???

Thanks

You offer too little details.

1) What is the brand of drives?

2) Are the models you have the same models from the same brand?

3) Have you been using them as single drives in any other machine?

4) Although each drive by default comes set as master,did you check yours?

Last edited:
Anthony said:
You offer to little details.

1) What is the brand of drives?

2) Are the models you have the same models from the same brand?

3) Have you been using them as single drives in any other machine?

4) Although each drive by default comes set as master,did you check yours?

2 WD Sata 80 Gig Brand New.
I was told to leave them as masters[SATA 1 & SATA 2], do I need set one as a slave??

Thanks

This is one of those episodes that requires no brainer solutions, yet, it would be easier to see that situation on the spot in your machine.

First check, each drive alone on each SATA channel, verify that it is recognized and functional.

Then add other next to the one tested, swamp them to check that both channels are working OK.

What is MBO’s chipset? Get drivers pronto from WD for windows !!!

If you say that BIOS shows them nice and clean, problem is then with drivers in Windows.

OS treats them as one, because they are the same models, check boot priority in BIOS.

That is what I assumed and reason I asked you are they the same models

You need to tweak this out, by several combination routines to finally get it to work

Anthony said:
This is one of those episodes that requires no brainer solutions, yet, it would be easier to see that situation on the spot in your machine.

First check, each drive alone on each SATA channel, verify that it is recognized and functional.

Then add other next to the one tested, swamp them to check that both channels are working OK.

What is MBO’s chipset? Get drivers pronto from WD for windows !!!

If you say that BIOS shows them nice and clean, problem is then with drivers in Windows.

OS treats them as one, because they are the same models, check boot priority in BIOS.

That is what I assumed and reason I asked you are they the same models

You need to tweak this out, by several combination routines to finally get it to work

Thanks Anthony!

Please keep in mind that this is the first machine that I build :)

Mobo P4P800 Deluxe.

What size does windows see the drive as?

If it is anything above 80 then you are running raid.

If you see like 70-80GB then it may be running RAID in mirroring mode. Or It may just not be recognizing the second drive or the second drive is not FORMATED!

Check this by going to control panael, administrative tools, computer management and then by clicking on disk managment in the left pane. Check to make sure that both say NTFS Partition, if it says none or unpartitioned,right click on it and click format.

seryozha said:
What size does windows see the drive as?

If it is anything above 80 then you are running raid.

If you see like 70-80GB then it may be running RAID in mirroring mode. Or It may just not be recognizing the second drive or the second drive is not FORMATED!

Check this by going to control panael, administrative tools, computer management and then by clicking on disk managment in the left pane. Check to make sure that both say NTFS Partition, if it says none or unpartitioned,right click on it and click format.

It reads as follows:

Disk 0 Drive C:
Basic 74.52 GB NTFS
74.52 GB Healthy (System)

Disk 1
Basic
74.53 GB 74.53 GB
Online Unallocated

Thanks

ViLo said:
It reads as follows:

Disk 0 Drive C:
Basic 74.52 GB NTFS
74.52 GB Healthy (System)

Disk 1
Basic
74.53 GB 74.53 GB
Online Unallocated

Thanks

GOT IT!!!

Thanks Guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

One More Problem........

The Drive is not formmating....I left it al night and still going.

Any suggestions??

Thanks

Hello Vilo,

Are these WD Raptor drives. At first you said they were 80 GB but your list says they are 74 GB, which is the size of a 10,000rpm Raptor drive. The only other Raptor is 36 GB. I have both Raptors and I am thinking about setting up a Raid-0 with another 74 GB.

Think about good things,

Chuck

oneArtist said:
Hello Vilo,

Are these WD Raptor drives. At first you said they were 80 GB but your list says they are 74 GB, which is the size of a 10,000rpm Raptor drive. The only other Raptor is 36 GB. I have both Raptors and I am thinking about setting up a Raid-0 with another 74 GB.

Think about good things,

Chuck

WD800 7200 rpm, I guess windows is eating up something :)

Back