2 questions: What Mic, What Pre-amp

Pacifici

Hello all this is my first post and I'd just like to say hi to everyone who views this.

But down to business. I recently purchased a Perception 420 microphone and I was wondering if I should mix it with another microphone while recording to beef the sound a little. I have an Marshall MG100HDFX. I've been thinking about a SM57. Up to the $200 range. Also looking for it to be very versitle, all help is appreciated.

I also am in need of a new interface to connect to my computer (PC but thinking about getting a MacBook soon). Im currently using a Tascam 2488 Portastudio; the background noise is dreadful; as well as navigation. Im also looking for the most pre-amps for full band recording. For this I'm looking around a $400 price range. ($500 if quality is superior).

Thanks for your time and thoughts, Pacifici

Well, there's no doubt that an SM57 is a very useful mic to have in your tool kit--but you don't actually NEED one to "beef up the sound". It's more of an optional extra (and putting two mics on a guitar cab, though a useful technique, can also introduce problems). If you have the cash burning a hole in your pocket, go for it--but it's a long way from essential.

As for interfaces, you'll struggle to get one that can handle a whole band (at least if you want to fully mic a drum kit) but have a look at the Tascam US-1800. This would give you 8 mic inputs and 6 line/instrument inputs for a total of 14. There are also a couple of digital inputs if you ever need them.

However, a question....if you only have 1 or 2 mics, how are you going to do your "whole band" recordings? Perhaps a smaller interface with only a couple of channels would do you for now?

Hey man thanks for being the 1/62 to reply :laughings:

I was definatly thinking about going with the Tascam 1800 after some research. And I have more than just a couple mics, but far from enough. I have a 4 piece set ment for drums that I got cheap off a friend a while back. I use those for a drum sound and I figure I could use the SM 57 or the Perception 420 for the bass and/or guitar and vocals. Guess that leaves me with one more to buy haha. Im an aspiring Recording engineer and am trying get a digital resume together for this studio that is considering taking me under their wings. I have a few friends in some legitimate bands that are down with me recording them to get this together. I'm getting it together one piece at a time haha!

That being the situation, go for an SM57. Even if you don't use it to thicken up guitars you'll always find other uses for it. Frankly, you may find you can use just the 57 on the guitar cab and use the AKG for vocals etc.

As for the interface, I don't know any others that provide as many inputs (and sound as good) as the Tascam for the money. To better it you'd need to spend orders of magnitude more money.

Last hint...don't forget to budget for the boring stuff like mic stands, cables, headphones and headphone amps, monitor speakers, etc. etc. G.A.S. (gear acquisition syndrome) is an incurable disease.

Haha no kidding, there so much stuff that I "need" to buy. This is why I keep myself out of music shops when my wallets on me!

Back