2" or 4" for first reflection

dainbramage

I was wondering if there are any good reasons (except price) for not using 4" panels for first reflection points and cloud. I see most panels labeled "acoustic panels" are 2", but wouldn't full range absorption be preferable?

The only reason I can imagine is the waves hitting first reflection points in a small room aren't long enough to be problematic in the lower frequency spectrum, but I might be missing something here.

Anyone?

I suspect it's because doubling the depth doesn't double the performance and puts expense up, while eating into the available space, while leaving the bottom end untouched. 50mm seems to be the best overall value and early reflections are only one small area of room treatment. With a finite budget, the bottom end often takes up a disproportionate amount of the budget. On projects where the top end control is too good, the room can sound just too dead for my taste.

I suspect it's because doubling the depth doesn't double the performance and puts expense up, while eating into the available space, while leaving the bottom end untouched. 50mm seems to be the best overall value and early reflections are only one small area of room treatment. With a finite budget, the bottom end often takes up a disproportionate amount of the budget. On projects where the top end control is too good, the room can sound just too dead for my taste.

Makes sense.

The full range would be better in an ideal world, it will also trap bass as well as mid/treble, it all adds up...thicker might cost more but when you have several of them the difference might be noticeable.

Back