2 Heads one cab

Jimmy2002

Can any one help me out!

I have a Marshall TSL and a Slash siqunature amp, and want to run them through the same Cab, using a a/b foot switch to switch between the 2 whilst playing live. at the mo i only have a mono cab so i guess i will need to upgade to a stereo cab. Is one im trying to achive possible?

Can any one help?

Jimmy

The safest way to do it would be to rewire you cab as having two sets of independant speakers, with thier own inputs.

A friend of mine has a marshall, and i wouldnt be relying on the switching they have on those, id want things totally isolated (electronically).

You also have the problem that you dont really want to leave a tube amp sitting without anything plugged into it.

Another problem would be, if your playing live, you'd have to mic the same cab twice.

Thanks for the help.

is there any way of doin it with out rewiring a cab will it not work with a stereo cab i.e one head in the left input and one head in the right input.?

Thanks for the help.

is there any way of doin it with out rewiring a cab will it not work with a stereo cab i.e one head in the left input and one head in the right input.?

Rewiring the cab would simply make it a stereo cab, so yes, a stereo cab would work fine.

And you'd have to mic both sides live.

Thanks for the help.

The thing to avoid above all other concerns is running a signal through a tube amp with no speakers connected. That head switcher looks pretty good, but at $260 it's a bit pricey.

I'd just go with a stereo cab. I think the Marshall 1960a and 1960b cabs are stereo. I also think that the Mesa 4x12 recto cabs are stereo.

I've thought about doing this myself as well. Using an amp head with a good clean and a nice dirty and combine it with my Mesa Dual on the dirty channel. That way I can blend the cleans from both amps and the dirty from both amps.

Cheers Guys thanks for the help so if i buy a new marshall cab with a stereo input i should be fine put one amp in the left channle and one in the right i'm ot going to have any problems with impedence or watts am I both heads are 100 each and have switchble impedence.

Cheers Jimmy

Cheers Guys thanks for the help so if i buy a new marshall cab with a stereo input i should be fine put one amp in the left channle and one in the right i'm ot going to have any problems with impedence or watts am I both heads are 100 each and have switchble impedence.

Cheers Jimmy

If you are going to be playing loud, make sure that each side of the stereo cabinet can handle 100 watts.

if you're going to buy another cab, why not just have a cab for each head and get an aby switcher.

I'm sure he's already thought about that. The problem there is you're now lugging around 2 80lb cabs instead of one. That becomes a real pain in the ass.

heres the thing. i dont think you want that, unless you are using the amps at the same time, otherwise you are only using half the cab. its not really designed to be used half at a time, if you know what i mean?

2 2x12s not only would sound better, it would be easier to carry around. i've thought about it, and thats my 2 cents. assuming money isnt necessarily a deciding factor, which i dont believe you said anything about money.

I dont want 2 cabs for that reason cause im not to keen on lunging around 2 4 x 12 cabs.

The cab iv been looking at getting is a vintage 1960 link here:
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/marshall-1960av/289

the total watts is 280 so im guessing this can hadle 100 watts in the left channle and 100 in the left

Jimmy

you don't want to do that
it will make the macic smoke come out of your amps.

you would really be a lot better off getting seperate cabs if you are wanting to run the 2 cabs simontaneously.

if you are wanting to switch back and forth to get 2 seperate tones get the headbone as the other dude suggested, this is your safest alternative.
you will want to make sure both your heads are able to handle a 4 ohm load because these cabs are designed to be bridged with another cab for an 8 ohm load or four bridged to make a 4 OHM load or you can use 1 cab at 4 OHM or 16 OHM

you don't want to do that
it will make the macic smoke come out of your amps.

you would really be a lot better off getting seperate cabs if you are wanting to run the 2 cabs simontaneously.

if you are wanting to switch back and forth to get 2 seperate tones get the headbone as the other dude suggested, this is your safest alternative.
you will want to make sure both your heads are able to handle a 4 ohm load because these cabs are designed to be bridged with another cab for an 8 ohm load or four bridged to make a 4 OHM load or you can use 1 cab at 4 OHM or 16 OHM

??? How do you figure that? A stereo cab is just a cab with two independently wired speakers or sets of speakers. It doesn't care if you run it with a stereo amp or two separate amps.

"Bridging" is making a mono amp out of a stereo amp to increase the power in a single speaker circuit by flipping the phase of one amp and running the speakers from the "+" side of both power sections; I don't see how that has anything at all to do with the subject at hand.

A stereo cab will work fine for what the OP wants to do.

heres the thing. i dont think you want that, unless you are using the amps at the same time, otherwise you are only using half the cab. its not really designed to be used half at a time, if you know what i mean?

It won't care if you're using half of it at a time or both together; the two halves of a stereo cab are wired completely independently, and most are acoustically isolated as well. A stereo cab will work fine for what the OP wants to do if both sections will handle the power he wants to push through them and the amps will handle the load (impedance, i.e., ohms) that the cabinet provides. There is nothing magical about a stereo cab; it's just like two mono cabs glued together.

Back