2 floor toms ... 1 mic?

rudalicious

Hey guys,

Im going to be recording a band soon and the drummer has a 6 piece. I normally mic each drum and use overheads. Do you think one mic will be enough to cover 2 floor toms if it is mouted right at the middle of them up a bit higher to catch both?

I would like to avoid the trouble of using anohter mic... finding another pre and using more cables. Even if the level isnt as great thats ok... as long as it will come out decent.

thanks

Well, since I've been recording the entire kit on my current project with 4 mics, Kick, Snare and 2 overheads, I'd have to say it's entirely possible to get both of them just fine with one mic. I'd be sure and pay particular attention to the way they're tuned to make sure they really compliment each other.

strmkr said:
Well, since I've been recording the entire kit on my current project with 4 mics, Kick, Snare and 2 overheads, I'd have to say it's entirely possible to get both of them just fine with one mic. I'd be sure and pay particular attention to the way they're tuned to make sure they really compliment each other.

good idea...

if i had been going for the less mics sound i wouldnt have been worried... but since im mic'ing the whole kit.. i figured it might seem a little more out of place.

thanks though. guess it should work out.

strmkr said:
what kind of mics do you have on hand?

well
unfortunately i dont have anything great... the sounds i get are acutally pretty good. I have audix fusion series ( iwas planning on using one of the tom mics for the floor toms) I also have a 57 and a shure ksm27.

I'd just hike that tom mic on up there then. I'd make more or less an equalateral triangle from center to center on the tom heads and the mic capsule to start, then move it around from there until you find the "sweet spot". Good luck!

I do it all the time for my 6 piece set.
A 57 between them. I move it around until the balance (volume) seems close.
Sometimes it takes being more over the top of one tom but pointing the diaphram towards the other.

Yes! You should be able to get a big part of your Tom sound from your overheads and use the tom mic for a little extra boddy and definition.

Personally I like having as much control as possible during mixdown, so I would mike every drum, if possible. I like to be able to get a really deep floor tom sound, and you can do that best with close mike placement, and good rejection from other drums and cymbals.

It's more tracks, work, hassle, expense, but you may be thankful that you did. Of course, maybe the drummer will only hit the floor toms once in the whole session and you'll wonder why you even bothered...

Back