(2) Drive Setup - IDE & SATA ... Tell me what to do!

EmmSee

Running S4PE, w/FirePOD, MA2496, DKFH:S + a separate GigaStudio PC w/80GBs of samples...

Ok, I have 1GB RAM ... an 80GB IDE & a new smokin' 74GB WD Raptor Enterprise SATA drive (10,000rpm!).

As far as programs / OS, etc... that's going on my 80GB IDE (it's there already).
I've been reading and people say use the fastest drive exclusively for the audio/video/projects. Got that.

Question! Do I put my XP Page File on my IDE or SATA? (since I don't have a 3rd physical drive to throw it on) .. and since I have 1GB of RAM how big should the file be? 1.5x my RAM?

Thanks.

Matt

So which is it? Page file on IDE or SATA?

I've heard it both ways, not sure which is the best....

AFAIK, the page file should go on a different physical drive to the OS, so, in your case, the SATA.

Just curious: how noisy is the Raptor? I considered one for my new DAW but opted out as I thought it would be too difficult to silent and would add too much heat to the system.

Scotsman said:
AFAIK, the page file should go on a different physical drive to the OS, so, in your case, the SATA.

Just curious: how noisy is the Raptor? I considered one for my new DAW but opted out as I thought it would be too difficult to silent and would add too much heat to the system.

I'm actually installing it tonight. I hope I don't have any issues! I'll let you know if there's any problems.

Back