2 Cabinet Questions....

kylosius

I Like Rusty Spoons
first question is my own. I am looking to aquire an empty 2x12 cabinet. I tend to play indie rock/punk along the lines of green day and the pixies. I currently use a Fender Stage 100 for an amp which i will use the cabinet with. I have been looking at speakers to use. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Eminence Black Powder or the Celestion Vintage 30's and if they are versatile enough to be used for the kinda of music I play.

second question...
a friend of mine is wanting to build a 4x12 cabinet for his amp. He seems convinced he can go to wal-mart and buy standard car audio speakers. would this work or should he stick to ones built for amps?

any help is appreciated

kylosius said:
first question is my own. I am looking to aquire an empty 2x12 cabinet. I tend to play indie rock/punk along the lines of green day and the pixies. I currently use a Fender Stage 100 for an amp which i will use the cabinet with. I have been looking at speakers to use. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Eminence Black Powder or the Celestion Vintage 30's and if they are versatile enough to be used for the kinda of music I play.

second question...
a friend of mine is wanting to build a 4x12 cabinet for his amp. He seems convinced he can go to wal-mart and buy standard car audio speakers. would this work or should he stick to ones built for amps?

any help is appreciated
Let him, then you can tell him what an idiot he is.

i seriously doubt that car speakers will sound good for guitar but really..........who the hell knows?

my first guitar amp that was loud enough to jam with a band was an old home stereo. i was 14 i think. i bought an electric guitar from a guy for $25 but i did'nt have an amp. i had been playing a toyish acoustic guitar that i bought off of my cousin for $8. a friend of mine at school had an electric guitar and was showing me how to play some metallica riffs. i wanted an electric guitar bad.

i started rooting around the house looking for something to plug it into when i came upon my sisters stereo. i remembered that a few times i had touched the record player needle and it reacted like a microphone. i figured hell it's just like a little microphone and the pickup in the guitar is like a microphone. so i took a lighter and removed a bit of insulation from the wires to the needle. i walked down to the music store at the bottom of the hill and bought a $3 guitar cable, found some speaker wire, and started foolin around with it. it worked.

i had to sneak into my sisters room when she was'nt home to wire up my guitar cable to her stereo. she caught me one day and was pretty pissed. five minutes later she told me it was cool and that i could use her stereo as long as i did'nt break it. she ended up giving it to me not long after that.

a little later i found a cheap distortion pedal in a pawn shop and added it into my signal. man it sounded cool. just like metallica and suicidal tendencies, i thought. it rocked. i screwed the two speaker cabinets together, which had two 10" speakers and tweeters. i also removed the record player arm completely and kind of hard wired my guitar cable in it's place. i played thru that rig for probably a year before one of the speakers died.

a few months later, my guitar playing friend and i found a kid that played drums and a kid that was learning to sing. we started our first band "The Minions". i still have a vhs of us jamming in the garage and my friend has a cassette of us playing "every rose had it's thorn", lol, a jam that was probably my first attempt at blues guitar, and "mother" by danzig.

sorry for all the wind. the car speaker thing kind of took me back.

Back