1u/2u rackmount mixer w/ send/inserts?

NeoMagick

Anyone know of a 1 or 2u rack mixer with comparable features to the mackie VLZ pro 1202, excluding the stereo inputs, but with the aux sends/inserts, and preferably a decent sound?

Cheers.

I could do what i needed to do with the sends and a patch back into another channel line. would probably even work better...

How does the Yamaha sound? Think it's somethin that would handle acoustic instrumentation (all line from preamps, no micing) well?

Thanks for the rec though!

I use my MV802 as a keyboard mixer for live gigs. It is good unless you are really turning the volume up all the way on it, then it gets a little hissy. But any kind of normal use and it's fine. Also, be sure to get one in great condition if you go in this direction. That can be a bit tough, as these are keyboard mixers and most I've seen on eBay tend to be beat up.

The Alesis MultiMix 12R looks really good for your application, if you can just deal with the three rack sapce aspect of it.

There are a number of one rack space mixers that are designed for keyboard use, but when you get into sends and inserts that eliminates most of them. I'm thinking for example of the Rane SM82.

The alesis would do what i'm lookin for, but it's a bit of overkill. Technically, so is the Rane, but it's size is very appealing. The SM82 didn't have TRS inputs, but i've found a few other Rane 1u's that do...

I'm starting down the road to building a stage rig. During a full show, I play three instruments - Violin, 12 string Acoustic guitar (pickup-ed), and an electric 6 string.

So far, when moving between instruments, I've had to swap cables around, get everything hooked in again, as i've been going line-in to the FOH board, or splitting an amp with a friend. Both of these are hell for mixing, and can be much more time consuming than I'd like, so I'm making myself relatively autonomous.

The rig would go as such...

- A preamp for each instrument into a...

- Mixer, giving each channel its own balanced properties. The mixer has a send to send each channel to an...

- Effects loop (which would be Wah, Delay, and an amp modeler), which lets me use my effects on all instruments, as I'd like to, without swapping cables mid-show.

- From the mixer to a full range acoustic amp (which is then mic'd for the FOH mix - I've always preferred that over a DI line from an amp).

It's a bit complex, and has a few fault points, i know. But the basic premise (at least in my mind) makes sense, and is easier than changing instruments & cables, rebalancing, etc, mid-show.

I've got a 4u rack I'd like to use for stage work, as it's big enough to pack a fair amount of equipment, but small enough to stay mobile. 1u to a power conditioner, 2u to the preamp channel strip, leaves me 1u for a mixer. But as I was thinking about a 6u case anyway, what the hell. I like the rane, but it's only got unbalanced inputs, which kinda hurts. But I'm flippin through others. These guys also have an MLM42, which looks pretty ideal from the spec sheet.

Thanks for the rec. Would also appreciate any insight you (or others) may have into the MLM42, or the rig layout.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Okay, here's another mixer that's probably overkill:

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/shopper.cgi?key=SmsnPl1602&preadd=action

Another option is something like this, but it lacks fx sends:

http://www.studioprojectsusa.com/sp828.html

Really, the aux sends combined with 3-4 preamps are what is making this tough to find. If not for that requirement, there are plenty of options available.

For example, there's the Roland M-120 line mixer. It has the two aux sends, but no preamps. Here's on one eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23785&item=7317076231&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

If you could use separate preamp boxes then this mixer would work, although I don't think the headroom is quite as good as like Mackie mixers.

So far, the Alesis seems to be the mixer with all the features.

Radial may have something that helps. Their tone bone stuff and JDI MkIII DI box offer some pretty flexible set-ups.

http://www.radialeng.com/

Also, if you can find one, there was a thing by this company Award Session called the MM4, with 4 very hi-z inputs for instruments, each with a level control, and a master output with it's own level control. Very keen box. No inserts or seperate sends, but it is a nice 4 channel instrument mixer.

Oh, I found a place that has them (I think-can't read the language), also UK company.

http://www.musik-produktiv.ch/shop2/shop03.asp/ob_id/25/sid/!18121995

http://www.gandamusic.co.uk/

Oh yeah, I'm sorry. I didn't mention that the preamps were gonna be seperate units. Planning to get a Meek TwinQ for the violin and electric guitar, and i've already got a TraceAcoustic TAP1 for the 12 string. So the mixer doesn't need preamps onboard.

I've worked with shitty mixers live, so I've got a good understanding of how they mess with sound. Rane's some of the higher end stuff I've had the pleasure of dealing with. Not supremo top notch, but I think I'd trust that MLM42... And it seems to be a good feature match for what i need.

I'm lookin over those links, Boingo. Radial looks pretty righteous... thanks. :)

NeoMagick said:
Rane's some of the higher end stuff I've had the pleasure of dealing with. Not supremo top notch, but I think I'd trust that MLM42... And it seems to be a good feature match for what i need.

You could do much, much, much worse than that Rane piece. I personally really like Rane gear. Functional, good sound, lasts forever.

Well, if you already have the preamps then the search gets a lot easier and the aux sends can take on more priority. The MLM42 has preamps, so I don't see the need for that since you already have them. As far as Rane products, the SM82 might be the one to get. It will leave you some extra inputs for future expansion as well. Rane gear is really solid and roadworthy.

There's the Rolls SM65. Do a google on it, I've never used one so I don't know if it is any good or not.

And again, take a look at the Yamaha MV802. It's what I use on live gigs and I can't recommend it more than that.

The only gear out of the intended rig that i have at the moment is a 4u road case, a conditioner, the TAP1 pedal preamp, and my instruments. The rest, at this point, is hypothetical.

The appeal about that Rane (with the preamps) was the Bal/TRS inputs. Admittedly, my search went about as far as that page, but it looks like what i need, plain and simply (1u rack'ed, 3 or 4 channels, FX loop, easy control of FX volume, balanced line ins/outs, quality gear :) ).

I called em for a quote, they'll off one for $280. Knowing rane's rep both with myself and others, it looks like a solid investment, given what I'd pay for the Mackie 1202VLZ, which isn't rack mounted.

I checked out the MV802, and I'm looking at it for a couple of other uses... But a google of the Rolls SM65 gives me some jewelry, not much more. Do you mean the RM65?

Right, RM65. Sorry about that. All the model names kind of blend together after a while. I've never used that Rolls mixer, or any Rolls gear actually, so I can't vouch for it at all. It might be junk, I just don't know. It just seems to have a feature set close to what you need.

The cool thing about the MV802, is the VCA control on the master outputs. There is a 1/4" input on the back of the mixer that you hook a Yamaha FC7 volume pedal to. This allows you control the volume of the master outs with the foot pedal. A *killer* feature, one of the main reasons why I use the MV802. More companies should implement this feature on their live mixers.

The VCA control is great for my synth rig because I can use multiple keyboards and not have to worry about having a bunch of volume pedals laying around, one for each keyboard. With the MV802 I just have one volume pedal for the mixer, and as many keys/modules as I can patch into it. This also allows me to pre-mix and preset the volumes on all my patches in the various keys and modules I'm using.

Another advantage is that it cuts down on the amount of midi messages going through the midi cable. Basically, all that I'm sending most of the time is note on/off and any aftertouch and mod wheel information. Without the constant controller 7 stream from the foot pedal the midi data stream is nice and light. I've not had problems with stuck notes or dropped data since I went to the MV802. We're talking years now.

All that midi stuff doesn't really apply to you, but the VCA control is one of the great things about the MV802.

The Rane really looks good though. I think the main issue for you would be if you can get by on one aux send, or if you need two. I believe the Rane only has one send. Other than that it looks great for your needs. If you can avoid dragging around a six space rack it would be a very good thing. Four spaces is still managable, but six gets awkward and heavy very quickly.

That's a very righteous feature on the MV802. I could definitely put that to use live. I've got a couple I'm keeping an eye on, I may pick one up for the hell of it (one's for $25, not a lot one can complain about there). If nothing else, it never hurts (in my opinion) to have a backup mixer.

The rane does have a single aux send (they dub it an FX loop, which is exactly what I wanted it for), but that's alright. I can put all my pedals on a single chain without concern. What stands out about it is the single wet/dry mix control that covers all channels.. When live, simpler is better (to me).

What stage micing layout do you use? My FOH engy and I started talking about layouts, and we can't decide whether its best to put preamps on stage or at the engy's desk. On stage makes sense to me, so that the preamp'd signal is the one going through the snake, but I also see why one would want the preamps at the desk.

Back