1st Tyme Beatmaker

HEARTTYME

CAN ANY BODY POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION 4 A BEGINNER WHO WANTS 2 LEARN HOW 2 MAKE TRACKS IVE BEEN A LYRICIST 4 WHILE NOW IVE DECIDED 2 MAKE MY OWN TRACKS. I HAVE A WELL ROUNDED KNOWLEDGE OF MUSIC AND SONG STRUCTURE BUT IHAVE NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT MIDI OR ORCHESTRATION.TRUTH BE TOLD! IVE BEEN LOCKED UP 4 THE PAST 7YEARS WRITING LYRICS> BUT WHEN COMES 2 MAKING A BEAT I DONT HONESTLY KNOW WHERE 2 START.I HAVE GEAR -CASIO CTK 574-KEYBOARD TASCAM DP-01-FX DIGITAL 8TRACK PORTASTUDIO/TASCAM US 122 INTERFACE.HOWEVER IM UPGRADING 2THE ROLAND MV-8800 NEXT MONTH. SO CAN ANYBODY GIVE A BEGGINER A FEW GOOD TIPS ON BUILDING TRACKS? SOME BASIC TIPS ABOUT BEGGINING TRACKS AND ORCHESTRATION ANY TIPS WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :cool:

What up .....Well, first of all, welcome to the site, and second....You gotta ditch the CASIO. Depending on what route you want to take hardware vs. software, you have the right other gear to break in nicely. Hardware wise, get into a nice sampler like a MPC1000. Finding them used on Ebay shouldn't be difficult or relatively expensive for that matter. On the other hand, you gotta get a PC, apps (Reason, Fruity Loops, etc.), and a decent MIDI controller. The hardware route can be less expensive if you ask me, but there are limitless abilities available on a PC. Depends on what you want to do.

ditch the casio is you nutz!

ditch the mv88, grab you a macbook and load it up with all the free soft synths at kvraudio then gently use the casio as a midi controller and sit back and kick ya self in the nutz!

trust after parting ways with sp1200's n asr10's and all that crap ya could afford with just a day job (hint)! im freakin happy all i do is pack up my lil macbook and jet.

PS NEVER TYPE IN CAPS ITS RUDE!

Well, I guess they've pretty much covered all that needs to be covered, but to be honest, I'm a beat producer as well, not as good of an emcee, but I try. I'm strictly software, I haven't touched any hardware, I don't know where to start with it. So, I'm stuck on Fruity Loops v7.0 XXL Producer Edition. Note, I'm not the greatest producer out there, but I do have some hot potential.

Make a decision of what you want first, as in hardware or software, and then go from there. Hardware wise, listen to them, they know what they talkin' about, software wise. Reason 3.0 will rock your fricken house, but I'm not knowledgeable to know how to use it. So I'm stuck on FL Studio.

I know this wasn't much helpful advice, but I am out of it and wanted to point a finger.

--Re-Lapse :D

Also, check out other peoples beats, critique them to the best of your ability, then start getting into it. Read. Read. Read.

response

whats up yall? believe me im bout 2 ditch the casio real soon!but hey some body gave it 2 me it was free.anyway i have a pc and a cheap version of cake walk but its a waste of time i dont like it .i also have cubase le its not all that either i have a lot of drop outs both.im thinking of upgrading 2reason what yall think i should do? p.s igot my heart set on that roland mv8800!u should check it out!

HEARTTYME said:
whats up yall? believe me im bout 2 ditch the casio real soon!but hey some body gave it 2 me it was free.anyway i have a pc and a cheap version of cake walk but its a waste of time i dont like it .i also have cubase le its not all that either i have a lot of drop outs both.im thinking of upgrading 2reason what yall think i should do? p.s igot my heart set on that roland mv8800!u should check it out!

Well, make a decision if you want to go Hardware or Software first, if you're going to try software first, go with Reason 3.0, probably your best bet if you have a music background and can use the program. The software is very advanced, I've been using Fruity Loops for a year now, and I still can't figure out reason .. .. ...

Best of luck to you.

--Re-Lapse

as far laying tracks i plan on using software but when it comes 2 laying my vocals i love hardware because i get a lot more headroom without clipping or distortion thats why i copped a digital recorder.and i appreciate you guys advice!thanks :cool:

HEARTTYME said:
as far laying tracks i plan on using software but when it comes 2 laying my vocals i love hardware because i get a lot more headroom without clipping or distortion thats why i copped a digital recorder.and i appreciate you guys advice!thanks :cool:

There is nothing wrong with hardware, software, or the combination of both. Keep messing around trying different looks and find your comfort zone. I use hardware for the same reason, to record vocals, because I am comfortable with it, and I know how to get it to do what I need it to do. But I use software for mixing and processing, because I like to see the wave samples and use the gang of plugins I have..............
You'll get plenty of good info here! As mentioned previously, just stick around and "Class Participation" is a must......You have tons of knowledge on this board. I won't start naming cats, but ask Noddy if there is any guidance here. I seen that boy go from pissing on himself to hitting skinz :D :D :D :D
Nah, but stick around and dudes can help shape you into the beast you will turn out to become, behind whatever route you chose to take!

Welcome to the Fam, Fam!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS and like Killah said, don't be quick to toss the casio. If nothing else, save some loot and find a nice program like Reason or FL and use it as a controller until you are financially ready to upgrade. You gotta crawl before you walk, so kick it with the casio until you have a foundation and justification to move it up a notch!

my two cents on the topic.......

the MV-8800 is a great machine but its still a sampler..... if you looking to do a lot of composition I wouldnt get it..... wit the type of money you would spend on it if u want to compose beats instead of sample i'd go wit a workstation i.e. fantom, motif, triton, etc.....

on the software side of things I mess with reason for composition beats... and FL when I sample I like um both........ so yea like everybodies been sayin find where u wanna go and go wit it....

as far as tips on actually making tracks you gotta figure that one out on your own ya dig..... just mess around..... and see what u come up with..... Ive also done a lot of searching around youtube.com lots of beatmaking videos on there and you can see how some people do what they do just to pull ideas......

HEARTTYME said:

if you going to ditch the casio, send it to me....i will put to good use :D

welcome to the fam...make whateva beat you want and think will sell..i know in Jax, they want d.s. bangers :D if you never made a beat it isnt going to be easy....and yes we are here to guide you in the right direction...you dont needto choose between hardware or software just use what works for you...my setup is simple, a drum machine, a 16 track multitrack digital recorder and software for editing and mixing...once again welcome to the fam...

I think it all got covered, but me being me I'ma add my .02 into that.

I don't know about everybody else here, but when I started out on my mission, I kept swapping shit for shit that I "thought" was better. Pawn shop loved my ass. It's all about finding your niche and where you're comfortable at (with being able to deliver heat). Time and experience solves all my friend.

I tried Cubase for vocals and loved it more than any hardware. You like hardware and that's what you're comfort zone is, use that to your advantage. As for beats, I did hardware first (drum machines, keyboards, etc.) and wasn't getting what I wanted out of it. I then went software and messed with Acid Pro and Fruity Loops (FL Studio XXL now), not really liking either one. I finally got a hold of Reason and fell in love with that shit and I was making nice beats in a few months...I learned fast (still learning).

I will say this in regards to software vs. hardware for beats....software is only limited to as far as your mind can go and if you look hard enough you can find the same sounds hardware modules have for your software.

Fiev.

If you wanna hear beats, go here
www.soundclick.com/heavyhittabeats

i gotta say DO NOT GET THE MV well thats wut i was told anyway.....on another forum they were talkin bout it and said it has no quantize function and i thought that would be impossible but if they got em and are saying this then it must be true look into a mpc for sampling i myself use software to sample and i haven't gotten any bad critiques by doing so, i had that exact casio for the last year until 3 weeks ago when i got the axiom 61 it's good for just using it as a midi controller when you are just starting out and broke like i was the things u should be focused on now is deciding wut route u wanna take hardware or software? if u go software download the demos and try everything out then go with the one u like best and learn it inside and out

I'm the best of both worlds type cat. Since I use both Hardware and Software. I usually get the basic beat down with the MPC. Then add too it with the triton and my motif and to top it all off I'll make a run to some patches in Reason. I know it sounds like a lot but it's the way I work. Honestly you have to find what works for YOU. No one can give a step by step. If they could there wouldn't be any musicality in it. That can only come from the heart.

Will

if you got the idea that you wanna make beats so you can make money than your doing it for the wrong reasons and you prolly won't ever make a dime. making beats is a long process it's gonna take a while to get a strong fan base and if the money comes then it should be a perc. not a goal

DesertEase said:
if you got the idea that you wanna make beats so you can make money than your doing it for the wrong reasons and you prolly won't ever make a dime. making beats is a long process it's gonna take a while to get a strong fan base and if the money comes then it should be a perc. not a goal

I know it's more than money...I'm just saying it how it is.

wow he was locked up for the past 7 years and nobody gave him advice on that???? nah im playing..i have reason 3.0 btw and that shit is just..i dont even know where to begin, just COP IT!!!

Back