1st time recording drums with my new tascam us-800 mmmmmmmmmm noise

TheBones

hey guys, the tascam us-800 has pretty much been the audio interface bang-for-your-buck-buzz around this forum and for $100 i considered it to be too much of a steal to pass up. i'd been looking for an upgrade in interfaces due to my desire to track real acoustic drums. i run a mac mini with logic pro 9 and upgraded from an m-audio fast track to the us-800. so i was re arranging the "studio" to set up my mics kick drum:cheap nady mic, snare:sm57, overheads:tascam conderser(not sure the model) and the Blue Spark. these are all the mics i own and i figured i would try to fit them into their best spots. so i tested out my theory by banging around on the set while all four mics were recording on seperate tracks in logic. on playback it sounded a little far from beautiful with something that i couldn't quite put my finger on. both dynamic microphone tracks turned out pretty darn close to what i was going for. then as i solo'd each of the overheads i noticed what that unpleasent tone i was hearing was, it was coming from the track that was connected to my favorite microphone, the blue spark. aww crap bad cable? nope swapped it out... still mmmmmmm. crappy preamp in my us-800? swapped it with one i new to be working properly (the one with the tascam condenser) and still......... mmmmmmmmmm. i've never heard this interferance with this microphone when recording through the fast track. any ideas on what might lead to this problem? could it be a problem with the most expensive part of my recording set up (spark)? aside from the mac. otherwise the us-800 otherwise has been a treat... seems to work great so far. none of the problems alot of the windows users where talking about, just a mmmmmmmmmmm through my favorite mic. any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for your time,
The Bones

I'm no expert by any means, but I'd try different positioning and EQ of the Blue mic. Anything is workable and I'm assuming you are using the condensers as overheads in a stereo configuration. If you had a stereo pair of OHs, even a cheap pair, it would probably be much easier on you, but I realize sometimes we need to work with what we have. It is amazing how little in mic positioning can affect the sound you record in big ways. Same with EQ. Do you have a clip?

I had a lot of problems with my us-800 yesterday I realized it had to do with the aggregate device. But part of the issue had to do with it being plugged into a power strip have you tried plugging it in a different outlet? Happy Tracking!

good call jg96. unplugged it from my powerstrip and into the socket across the room. good thing it comes with a long cord on the power supply. two thumbs up for that. my hum is gone tracked some drums last night and they were coming out pretty good a little eq and i think i'll be in bizz. us-800 seems pretty good so far i have to say that the bang for your buck factor is paying off in spades. thanks guys!

As far as i've owned mine I also can say no major issues. I bought it about a year ago when they were 150$ on clearance.

Snapped one up today thanks to help from other forum members in a different thread and then your comments throughout this one :)

Back