1st studio(long)

rockcamaro97

Ok, guys, ive been lurking and reading for a month or 2 now. Ive been working with a band for a while helping them record what was to be the start of there new album. that stalled out, but I now find myself CRAVING to record music. Ive done live sound on and off for a few years, so i guess u could call that "basics" of recording as far as micing and working with the gear and such. Working with the band i was using one of there guys gear, and he has the digidesign M box. I really liked this interface along with the protools 6.9 software.

So after that long intro, heres where i am. Im preparing to turn my room into a room/studio. I wish i had more room to put it elsewhere, but i dont. ive already got a desk and im going to upgrade my current PC to support the software better and also use an external HD for my music. I have read many DIY threads on acoustic treatment and will be making some absorbers and basstraps with rigid fiberglass.

Now to my questions/suggestion portion. The gear is where im worried. Im on a budget, and ive only worked with live gear, and i quickly found out that not all live gear works great for recording. I was considering the following:

-M Box2 with protools 7(i havent used any other interface, to PLS make suggestions)
-KRK RP-6's for monitors sittin on aurelex mo-pads
-Audio Technica ATH-M30 headphones
-(2-4) Shure SM57's
-(1) Shure SM58
-(1) Shure KSM32 for my condensor

Thats for my basic setup. Im really wanting suggestions as far as the condensor mic and interface, im not to sure the Mbox is enough for what i want to do. I was thinking about the presonus firepod, but im not sure about using cuebase as im already very familiar with protools and would like to stay with it(unless switchin over to cuebase would be an easy transition), and im also not sure if its what i need.

This is just basic setup guys, ive already decided on my mic pre and i REALLY like the sound of the DMP3 for the $$. various pieces of Dbx gear will find there way over from my live rack(comp, limiters, and EQ's), and ill prolly experement with my BBE sonic maximizer some on vocals.

Basically, im wide open and for gear, i have about a 2K budget to get started. Tell me what u think or what youd do based on things youve done and loved or done and regretted. Sorry for the long post and i look forward to what you guys have to say!

Matt

Hey Matt, welcome to an expensive hobby. I'll help as much as I can, considering my limited knowledge. I'm still learning too.

As far as your interface, you might explore other options. While the MBox is good, there are better things in that price range. Besides, it comes with ProTools and as popular as that app is, it's not that great and all of the plugs for it are really expensive. I don't know if you'll be recording multiple instruments at once or what your budget is but the Delta 1010 by M-Audio (also makes MBox) is a really good choice. Either that or an PreSonus Firepod, RME Fireface, or even one of the new Mackie units that are coming out. You should also check out the M-Audio 1010LT and 2496. These cards, however, do not have breakout boxes. For your app, I'd recommend researching into something like Cakewalk Sonar. The new version 5PE is killer.

Those KRK RP-6's, I've heard, are pretty good. You might check out the 8" version so you don't have to worry about a sub. However, you'd be just fine with the 6's. Another brand to check out is M-Audio (no, I don't work for them). They make some good monitors. Right now, you can get the Studiophile BX8's for $299/pair at Musician's Friend. They also have the new version, the BX8a, for $499/pair. Another suggestion for monitors is Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2's (I think). Just search for them on the forum here. Deepwater, a forum member, sells them for pretty cheap. Remember, if you go passive, you'll need a power amp. I'm sure you have one of those since you do live music, though.

About the headphones...I hope you only plan to use those for tracking. Don't mix with headphones...please. You will not like your mix. Also remember, if your interface (soundcard) does not have a headphone output, you'll need a headphone amp. I suggest the PreSonus HP4 as it has controls to mute your monitors.

SM57's are always good for tracking guitars. The occasional vocal can be recorded with them as well. They are a staple, if you will. But don't be afraid to get another good guitar mic in there. I suggest the Sennheiser e609s. In fact, if you double mic a cab (careful about phasing) with an e609s and an SM57, it sounds KILLER! Very big and round sound, I love it. Sonixx (here) did a demo of both mics and then both mics together and posted it on the forum. Check out the link.

The Shure KSM32, while I don't own it, is a good mic. I've heard good things about it. But don't forget all the other mics that are out there. You don't have to have all Shure stuff. Mics like the MXL V67, MXL V69, Rode NT-1, Rode NTK (tube mic), Studio Projects C1....those are all good mics. Just research a little more and I'm sure you'll make an educated purchase.

I'm trying to remember if I forgot to say anything but I guess if I have more, I'll post more. Hope I helped in some small way.

EDIT
Also, if you don't have a good way to record drums, I really suggest taking a good look at BFD. It's an AWESOME acoustic drum module. Check it out here.

Saw your budget...can't believe I missed it. For that, you could get a lot. Also, if you went used, you could get even more!

400 - Delta 1010
500 - Cakewalk Sonar 5PE
300 - BFD
200 - Studio Projects C1
110 - Sennheiser e609s
300 - M-Audio BX8's
160 - M-Audio DMP3
---------------------------------
1,970 - Total

Since you do some live sound stuff, I assume you already have some SM57's. Also, keep in mind that all that stuff is priced new. This will for sure get you a decent start.

Last edited:
When anyone starts talking about gear on this board they always forget to mention the most important gear there is, your room! Please check the studio building forum and get aquainted with 703 insulation and it's effects before you spend any money. I started buying and upgrading gear over and over until I realized I could never get the sound I expect without acoustical room treatment. I still don't have it all figured out, but I know my solution will cost about what a really good mic pre will cost.

Acoustic treatment is important but you should get some gear first so that you can at least get acquainted with the software first. Listen to your gear...THEN apply acoustic treatment to a room.

ive been reading up on acoustic treatments and im going to make some DIY treatments and bass traps with rigid fiberglass. i did some testing speaking from different points in the room the other day, and there is a definite echo problem that i feel i can resolve with about 8 wall hanging 2x4 absorbers and basstraps from the 3ft level up in 3 corners and 4 ft level up in one(theres an obstruction there...)

also, ive been using FL studios for drum tracks with the drum kit from hell plugin. Makes fairly good tracks, but still sounds "programmed". So i would like to experement with recording drums. Another reason i want more inputs.

Great suggestions so far! keep them coming.

also, anywhere i could find info comparing the delta 1010, 1010lt and 2496?

Matt

If you think they still sound programmed, you should really check out BFD. It has humanization ability and also auto-variable velocity.

If you're going to go with recording live drums, your best bet would be the Delta 1010 or the Firepod.

The Delta 1010, which I have, has plenty of TRS inputs so you can record those drums. However, you'll either have to get an 8 channel pre or 4 DMP3's to utilize all 8 inputs. They are just line inputs. I think the Firepod might have built in pre's so you might be better off with something like that...?

I bet you could pick up a Delta 1010 on Ebay for around $250-$300

Duh, I didn't even realize I was posting on the "studio buidling" page. I'm just glad you have plans to address it.
I always find http://www.harmony-central.com reviews to be pretty helpfull as there are both amatuer and pro-sumer viewpoints, and the reviews weren't generated for any other reason, like sales!

Back