1982 Fender Blackface, Vibrolux Reverb Amplifier ?!

Well, yes and no.

Fender did re-introduce blackface cosmetics in the 80's. It does tell you this much just above the pictures.

Is it the 'real' blackface the seller claims it to be? No. Fender stopped making the real blackfaces in '67??

Is it a good amp at that price? I'd say it's in the ballpark. $450 is on the high side of what I'd be willing to pay.

LazyBoy,

I just checked the price on a new "Custom" Vibrolux Reverb...$1000 !!!

The ebay amp looks brand new...for 1/2 the price. I e-mailed the seller and he said it could be modified close to the 'real' Black Face circuit...some Caps and biasing.

Do you know if that's true?

Thanks for all of your help!

I DREAM of owning an old Vibrolux Black Face...but most of them are beat to sh*t and they want a fortune!

MaxDB

This is positively a re-issue.

You are correct - the amps that the collectors refer to as 'Blackface' refer to those amps made with a black control panel in the mid-60s.

Anything else is a re-issue. The description given by this joker tries to give the impression that it's a 'real' vintage blackface.

It isn't.

foo

Foo, LazyBoy, Anyone?

OK...it's not the fervently, sought after "Black Face"...But is it still a decent Amp?

Does anyone here have a Silver Face Vibrolux? That is what this Amp is supposed to be...a Silver Face Amp in Black Face clothing.

It looks like it's in excellent shape.

Or should I save up my money and buy a NEW re-issue Vibrolux?

I welcome any and all opinions.

MaxDB

I have no experience of any of these new amps - if it is a Fender, has no master volume and is all tube, it will probably sound good.

. . . and that's all that really matters - does it sound good to you?

foo

Yes its legit....

and even though they arn't "collectable", they are good buys.
I had a Delux Reverb that sounded pretty damn good. I changed out the speaker to a Mojo Tone.
There isn't a lot of difference in them from the original silverfaced amps---except for the red plug at the end of the cord....go ahead and get it and hang on to for a while--the will go uo in price in the next few years.

Max:

Sorry its taken so long to get back to you. I'll be honest and say that most of my knowledge of 80's fenders stems from the fact that I have a DR II a Rivera Fender. Now this vbro is interesting to me because it doesn't have the Rivera sigs such as channel-switching and cascading gain stages, blah, blah. I do know that Fender was still doing point to point wiring on their tube amps at that point so should be possible to "blackface" it.

Damnit, where's H2H. He's really the resident Fender expert.
If you're in doubt and under a time constraint, buy it. If it works but you don't like it, you'll get your money back out of it. Or only lose a little.

ha ha! :)

Sorry, I've been on the road playing, rehearsing, recording, and related stuff. This is my first time on the net for over a month. Looks like that amp went for $650. It was worth every penny the buyer paid for it. The newer Vibrolux, the Custom Vibrolux Reissue is the most saught after by those looking for the SRV tone. That one is nearly just as sweet.

H2H

Back