1950's Hollowbody neck joint

fendersk8911

Hey Guys,

I've got an old 1950's Silvertone Hollowbody, which I love for its unique sound...there is a small crack at the neck joint, and it doesn't seem to be getting any bigger, but I'd like to ensure that it doesnt...easy fix? Maybe just put a screw through it?

For GOD'S sake, do NOT put a damn screw into that poor guitar. If you do, I will PERSONALLY come over there and take it away from you, because that will be prima facie evidence you don't deserve it!:eek:

Seriously, NO SCREWS. You may get some good, solid advice here, but I can tell you are in way over your head- take it to a qualified luthier and pay him what he wants to fix it. It is worth it, and otherwise it may never be right again.

I've done repairs to neck joints that were more far gone (basically resetting the neck) but I was hoping to avoid the time this time. Anyway, the crack neck isn't pulling away from the body that far, and it stays in tune/plays pretty well, so I am not going to worry about it until it gets worse. Then I'll do a neck reset...

By the way Steve...mean? Shouldn't assume things about people...

I've done repairs to neck joints that were more far gone (basically resetting the neck) but I was hoping to avoid the time this time. Anyway, the crack neck isn't pulling away from the body that far, and it stays in tune/plays pretty well, so I am not going to worry about it until it gets worse. Then I'll do a neck reset...

By the way Steve...mean? Shouldn't assume things about people...

Telling someone not to put a screw through a neck heel is not assuming anything. It is good advice. Whats more the fact that you put it forward as a solution leads me to believe you don't have the required skill and understanding to fix it. I remain to be convinced.

I worked in a guitar shop and was taught to do neck resets. I said an easy fix, and a screw seemed to be an easy fix, much easier than a neck reset. I didn't want to do it myself (probably with the help of a friend,) and didn't want to take the time and money to get it reset by a luthier. The fact is that it is a beat up, old, worthless guitar to pretty much anyone but me. It has no collector's value, but I love it. I just imagined that throwing a screw in there wouldn't be a huge deal, since most of the resonance would come from the top, and because there is already a big chunk of wood up there inside the guitar below the neck joint (not sure if you've dealt with any old Silvertones, they're cheaply made and have some...interesting designs sometimes.)

The point is that I had a question, I asked it from what I considered (although I haven't been here that long) to be a pretty helpful and respectful community. Yes, I got an answer, after more or less being called stupid and told that I wasn't worthy of this guitar. Gunna be honest....sorta resent that.

The point is that I had a question, I asked it from what I considered (although I haven't been here that long) to be a pretty helpful and respectful community. Yes, I got an answer, after more or less being called stupid and told that I wasn't worthy of this guitar. Gunna be honest....sorta resent that.
The point is you made a statement that would lead anyone with a modicum of guitar repair experience to assume that you were a noob. There is nothing to resent. You asked if a screw through the neck is appropriate. steveb quite rightly pointed out that it is never appropriate and you jumped on him. I on the other hand asked for more info and some pics from which I may have been able to give you some more positive advice. Maybe you should get passed the resentment and do that. Having come here claiming the ability to do neck resets you really shouldn't need advice on this. That is why I remain to be convinced.

I didn't come to convince anybody of anything, I simply asked a question. I've decided to do a neck reset. Thanks for your help.

That is entirely your choice. You may find that if you had posted pictures as I asked there may indeed have been a quicker/easier fix. As to your simple question, you got some very simple answers which you have chosen to challenge and ignore.

Good luck.

Don't have a camera at the moment to take pictures...also, had the guy who owned the guitar shop I worked at take a look, we both decided a reset was for the best...I didn't ignore or challenge any advice. The advice I got was "you're stupid, don't put a screw in there."

However, I appreciate your help in asking for pictures.

Wow, what a firestorm I started! No intention to offend anyone, sorry if I did. I was just mildly horrified that you mentioned a screw. Ouch! I only wanted to stop you from doing something irreversable that you would regret later.

Muttley coming to my defense. My, how things have changed!:)

I gotta take issue with your "worthless" appraisal of the Silvertone guitar, though. I had a Silvertone flattop when I was a kid, my mom had a full-size model of the same guitar. Mine had monsterous action and I sold it at a swap meet in Tucson decades ago, Mom's split on the side one day, and was trashed. These things happened before I knew they were repairable, and I would love to get my hands on a replacement of either, if I can do it at a reasonable cost. Lots of folks had those guitars once upon a time, and they have sentimental and even collector value- and frankly, many of them have proven to be good instruments.

So, apology offered for offending you, but please, PLEASE- no screws!

Wow, what a firestorm I started! No intention to offend anyone, sorry if I did. I was just mildly horrified that you mentioned a screw. Ouch! I only wanted to stop you from doing something irreversable that you would regret later.

Muttley coming to my defense. My, how things have changed!:)

I gotta take issue with your "worthless" appraisal of the Silvertone guitar, though. I had a Silvertone flattop when I was a kid, my mom had a full-size model of the same guitar. Mine had monsterous action and I sold it at a swap meet in Tucson decades ago, Mom's split on the side one day, and was trashed. These things happened before I knew they were repairable, and I would love to get my hands on a replacement of either, if I can do it at a reasonable cost. Lots of folks had those guitars once upon a time, and they have sentimental and even collector value- and frankly, many of them have proven to be good instruments.

So, apology offered for offending you, but please, PLEASE- no screws!

I just call things as I see them mate, always have done.

Stevie, I suppose you are right. However, I am constantly seeing Silvertones (at least the hollowbodies) on Craigslist for under $200, most are in excellent condition. I got mine for $50, it is pretty beat up, but still playable...plus the beat up finish adds character :) I think you should pick another one up right away!

Back