1616M can be used with a desktop.

Ummm, do I need to point out that the card you link to costs $90. That would bring the total cost of the 1616 and PC-PCI adapter to $499 which is what you buy the 1820m for.

Why not just buy the 1820m in the first place?

One reason would be if you wanted to use one interface for both your laptop and a desktop. In this case though, why not just go with a firewire interface that has similar specs. They are out there.

Exactly, because you can use it with laptop, or desktop, and still have the E-Mu's quality converters.
To be able to use it on both, it's worth the extra $90.

Well, when you buy your next laptop and cardbus is no longer supported (there's a new spec already beginning to replace it and it isn't backwards-compatible), that cardbus card is going to seem pretty short-sighted.

Just my $0.02.

dgatwood said:
Well, when you buy your next laptop and cardbus is no longer supported (there's a new spec already beginning to replace it and it isn't backwards-compatible), that cardbus card is going to seem pretty short-sighted.

Just my $0.02.

yeah, PCI Express in "cardbus" style format is on the way, and it's indeed not backwards compatible.

The only stuff worth buying for laptop use right now is firewire stuff, because that'll be around for awhile. Even the 800 stuff is backwards compatible with 400 FW.

I don't know what Emu (Creative) was thinking with a cardbus format system.

Back