16 Tracks of drums!

He has a point though. If more mics would give us such great results, we would all strive to do so.

Well, I have yet to hear a drum production posted in the mp3 forum that approaches the grandness of Metallica's black album, and there they had 40 mics in the room. Maybe more people SHOULD strive to do so. ;)

Well, I have yet to hear a drum production posted in the mp3 forum that approaches the grandness of Metallica's black album, and there they had 40 mics in the room. Maybe more people SHOULD strive to do so. ;)

This is a ridiculous statement. This is a HOME RECORDING forum, not an "I've got $50,000 - Let's go make an album" forum.

And what the hell is up with you and this CMB guy? Are you ex-lovers or something? Why all the bickering? Can't we just have a conversation without you two trying to make out all the time?

This is a ridiculous statement. This is a HOME RECORDING forum, not an "I've got $50,000 - Let's go make an album" forum.

And what the hell is up with you and this CMB guy? Are you ex-lovers or something? Why all the bickering? Can't we just have a conversation without you two trying to make out all the time?

this guy seems to get off by jumping down my throat... i dont get it.

That's subjective.

Only to the deaf. ;)

And isn't the point of asking for advice is to try to get closer and closer to the grand sounds we hear on our favorite productions? It doesn't make any sense to compare yourself to anything less!

This guy feels that the 16 tracks of drums are servicing him well. That is great. I will not argue. The production is pretty good. Not Metallica black album good, but certainly MUCH better than the average home recording I usually hear here. So, the difference seems to be that this guy used 16 tracks, instead of the usual 4-10 that most around here use (okay, most around here seem to use kontact or ezdrummer....). About half of what they used on the black album, but about twice as good as the normal production I hear around here. I think it is a fair point to make that maybe guys are doing themselves a disservice by limiting themselves to close minded thinking about how many drum tracks they "need".

I gotta tell you, if I had 40 mics and channels available all at once at tracks and could pick about 20 of them to use for any particular song (black album production), I would do it every time! If I didn't have that many, I would "make do" with the 8-10 tracks that I normally can afford. But, I would NEVER say that I can always get with 8-10 that I could with 20, 30, 40 mics available at once. That is idiotic! Of course having that many sources available to blend together is going to produce stellar results if implemented properly.

Some of the posts here have came across with a lot of arrogance, and from those people I have heard nothing that can back that kind of arrogance. Just sayin'......

And by the way, the black album's budget was probably more around $200,000. ;) $50k budgets were for "developmental bands" back in that era.

I gotta tell you, if I had 40 mics and channels available all at once at tracks and could pick about 20 of them to use for any particular song (black album production), I would do it every time!

You'd spend half a day just wrapping mic cables after that

You'd spend half a day just wrapping mic cables after that

Well, anybody that had the kind of budget to afford doing this would probably be blocking out WEEKS of studio time. I think we could wait until all the tracks were finished before rolling up cables. :)

Only to the deaf. ;)

And isn't the point of asking for advice is to try to get closer and closer to the grand sounds we hear on our favorite productions? It doesn't make any sense to compare yourself to anything less!

This guy feels that the 16 tracks of drums are servicing him well. That is great. I will not argue. The production is pretty good. Not Metallica black album good, but certainly MUCH better than the average home recording I usually hear here. So, the difference seems to be that this guy used 16 tracks, instead of the usual 4-10 that most around here use (okay, most around here seem to use kontact or ezdrummer....). About half of what they used on the black album, but about twice as good as the normal production I hear around here. I think it is a fair point to make that maybe guys are doing themselves a disservice by limiting themselves to close minded thinking about how many drum tracks they "need".

I gotta tell you, if I had 40 mics and channels available all at once at tracks and could pick about 20 of them to use for any particular song (black album production), I would do it every time! If I didn't have that many, I would "make do" with the 8-10 tracks that I normally can afford. But, I would NEVER say that I can always get with 8-10 that I could with 20, 30, 40 mics available at once. That is idiotic! Of course having that many sources available to blend together is going to produce stellar results if implemented properly.

Some of the posts here have came across with a lot of arrogance, and from those people I have heard nothing that can back that kind of arrogance. Just sayin'......

:facepalm:

You're forgetting the drum kit. You're forgetting the player. You're forgetting the equipment used. You're forgetting the engineer.

RAMI's 4 track drums are actually some of the best I've heard. I think I heard another member here use 8 tracks and those were some of the best I heard. And please, stop referencing the Black Album. I don't care about it.

And by the way, the black album's budget was probably more around $200,000. ;) $50k budgets were for "developmental bands" back in that era.
I'm thinking closer to $1,000,000. They did lock out that studio for nine months, hire an orchestra with Michael Kaman, etc... I'm not even counting Bob Rock's fee.

I'm thinking closer to $1,000,000. They did lock out that studio for nine months, hire an orchestra with Michael Kaman, etc... I'm not even counting Bob Rock's fee.

I seem to recall a studio budget of $250,000 being thrown around back in the day. Who knows. I wasn't even considering "extra's". :)

:facepalm:

You're forgetting the drum kit. You're forgetting the player. You're forgetting the equipment used. You're forgetting the engineer.

RAMI's 4 track drums are actually some of the best I've heard. I think I heard another member here use 8 tracks and those were some of the best I heard. And please, stop referencing the Black Album. I don't care about it.

I am not forgetting anything bubba. You can play on "givens" all you want to try to detract from the "spirit" of what I am talking about, but that doesn't make the spirit of what I am talking about any less true. :)

I will refer to the black album all I want. It is STILL a drum production that few have ever came close to, and an important album in the development of rock and roll drum recording!

I am not forgetting anything bubba. You can play on "givens" all you want to try to detract from the "spirit" of what I am talking about, but that doesn't make the spirit of what I am talking about any less true. :)

I will refer to the black album all I want. It is STILL a drum production that few have ever came close to, and an important album in the development of rock and roll drum recording!

You're not forgetting anything in thought but certainly written down. You gave no credit.

Okay, keep referring to the Black Album inanely. I don't really care. I'm not striving for that sound because I don't like it. RAMI's sound will due just fine.

This is the comment that spoils a perfectly good point.

Maybe more people SHOULD strive to do so.

No, they shouldn't. They should strive to get whatever sound they want. And if they want to use 40 tracks, I'm not stopping them! If they want to get a sound like RAMI's drums, I'm certainly not going to say, "wow, these drums are lacking." I'm going to say, "okay, I can see what sound they desire."

Are you talking about this guy? His boobs were only $5,000.

Attachments

• Lars.jpg
    Lars.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 35
Back