16 track reel to reels..

speaking of demaggin.

im going to try out my demagger tonight, silly old radio shack thing, it turns on and i hope it doesnt eat my E16.

reply to "Thread still going"

Hi Spider,

Yes, the thread is still weaving thoughts.

I'm curious, does analog have more
difficulty than digital when punching in ?

I have a buddy that has always loved his 32
ADAT tracks. Recently, he heard the analog
world in action. He went out and bought a
1" machine that does 15 & 30 IPS. I think
it is a stooder. My spelling may be off.
Now he is a analog buff. I love it when the
digital guys get converted.

happy reeling and rocking,
Chuck

Re: reply to

Chuckschwandt said:
Hi Spider,

Yes, the thread is still weaving thoughts.

I'm curious, does analog have more
difficulty than digital when punching in ?

I have a buddy that has always loved his 32
ADAT tracks. Recently, he heard the analog
world in action. He went out and bought a
1" machine that does 15 & 30 IPS. I think
it is a stooder. My spelling may be off.
Now he is a analog buff. I love it when the
digital guys get converted.

happy reeling and rocking,
Chuck

Hey Chuck, What did he pay for the Studer, and how old is it?

Tim

i once recorded at this studio, the dude gave my friend pot for free, his dog shit on the floor in the studio, and he had a studer 16track 1" and about $10000 worth of other gear. his bathroom was the dirtiest scariest thing in the world, and he smoked weed while recoridng and mixing. it was not a very good sounding recording. :(

Studer info requested ny Tim

Reply to Tim Brown

Hi Tim,

Are you sitting down ? My buddy paid $1700.00
for the Studer! The heads were just lapped for
the first time. It is a 1985 model. The seller
had 3 of these units and decided to unload one.
He bought it off ebay !!!

Chuck

Sorry x 2

Sorry 1: I'm sorry it wasn't me buying that studer. $1700 is pretty cheap, I think. But its' toomuch for me, and bisedes it's too big for my studio. I don't have the room. :)

Sorry 2: Using your fingernail to detect an wear edge may not always work. It's recommended by MRL for example, but it seems some heads have small grooves at the tape edges! So make sure the edge is an edge, not a groove! See http://www.digitalprosound.com/Htm/TechStuff/2000/Sept/AnalogPt2-3.htm for pictures!

JFR

I think they are in new jersey or something. doesnt really matter, shipping will be the same almost anywhere in the US. unless you drive it there on your own, i think.

Re: Studer info requested ny Tim

Chuckschwandt said:
Reply to Tim Brown

Hi Tim,

Are you sitting down ? My buddy paid $1700.00
for the Studer! The heads were just lapped for
the first time. It is a 1985 model. The seller
had 3 of these units and decided to unload one.
He bought it off ebay !!!

Chuck

MAN!!!
Was that guy on Crack or what?!
I remember looking at a Studer 2-track that was going for like $8,000 New.
I almost choked, because I didn't even want to spend that for the entire setup! Hahahaha

Your friend got a great deal with that one!

Like I saids, I'm not "Anti-Analog", I'm just "Anti-hiss", and for me-Digital is the way to go for now.
I would love to have a great analog setup-but I just couldn't justify $30+ dollars for tape for demoing and recording at home (because I like to keep all the multitrack stuff-so I can go back and do remixes just to play with the stuff)

Tim

I have a 16 track Tascam 1" unit and love
every minute. You can get a 1/2" unit in
the semi-pro catagory, but the 1" is a pro
unit. They have VU meters on each track
and XLR in and out. A roll around unit so
you can be many miles from the deck. I go
through pre amps to record, never going
through the board. I moniter through the
board only. Since I play acoustic guitars as
a first instrument, I get a nice warm sound.
Acoustics can be real edgy ya know. It is so
clean you would probably think it was
digital. I did my first album in digital from
front to back and I was very dissapointed
- never again. The analog art of the
forefathers is the key. No offense to the
digital folks, just my opinion and
much of Nashville too. Take care.

Chuck

Brigadier Advancements Recording Studio

can you can tell a tascam 388's performance from a msr16's,is there that much difference sonicly? I would think it would be very apparant comparing comparing the 388 or a fostex 1/4 inch machine to a Tascam ms16 1 inch recorder, maybe or probably I'm wrong but it's very interesting to me

Hi Hot Rocks,

I can't speak for the Tascam 388, but I did
own a Fostex 1/4, 8 track prior to this 16
track MS16. I loved the Fostex 1/4; it is
a great sounding machine. I was going to
do a commercial album with it untill a great
deal came along on the 16 track. There
is a little more fulness, but very little. The
greatest advantange is the extra tracks.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,That's nice to know. I would have guessed an MS16 would have blown the doors off a 1/4 inch machine. So I guess For those of us who can make do with 8 tracks,wer'e not very far off the pro mark with the fostex/Tascam 1/4 inch tape recorders. It certainly is alot more econominal tape wise. I do see those MS 16's on Ebay quite often and practicly drool when I see how little some of the nice ones sell for, Compared to their original cost. must be an awesome machine especially if you record at home, considering that unit was built for major pro studio work. The digital age has drasticly reduced prices for top shelf analog recorders.you have to love it. Rob

Hi Hot Rocks,

I remember back in 1990 when I started with
a tascam 4 track cassette unit (424). There
certainly was a major difference from the jump
to the 1/4 Fostex. The jump to the MS16
was minor in quality, except for the added
tracks. One great advantage you have is the
punch in foot pedal too. The MS16 must
be hand operated; there is no jack for any
pedal. It wasn't built for the one man recording
studio. Best wishes to you in your recording.

Chuck

TRS8

I have a TRS 8 track, 1/2 inch. It runs at 15 ips. Have had it since 92. I bought it used and had very little hours on it. I fact, it had about a years worth of warranty on it. I only use it to do my final recordings so not to increase the wear and tear on it. I rent an 8 track tascam cassette for my pre-production. Then when I am satisfied with the ideas for a song, I record on the TRS8.

When recording, I have never gone direct into the unit, always going through the board. It sounds like a great idea to cut down on board noise. I'll try that next time. I have an ART pre-amp which I'll use. Thanks for the insight.

Hi Jag,

15 IPS is wonderful. My 8 track was only
7.5. Your pre-production is a great
idea too; saving those heads. - Yes, and
do try the direct hook up through your
ART pre and I think you will like the result.
Any connection you can avoid will help the
signal. I use my board to listen while
recording, and the mix too.
Enjoy...

Chuck

If you want to use reels and analog tape try to find a 2track machine. You can do your basic tracking to a digital machine like the Tascam DA-38, then mix down to an analog machine. You can buy a good 1/4inch 2 track for a very reasonable price. If you get riley lucky you can find a good ½ inch machine at a good price. With the less tape tracks you get more tape with per Track. Then you get a fatter signal. With the tape technology to day you can get tape like Quantegy GP- 9 that you can hit at a +9 level before the tape will distort. That also means you get a lot further away from the noise floor so there is less hiss. I have an Ampex 440C that I picked up at a studio auction for $100.00. I put another $200.00 into it to get it working properly. Now I can actually take out his from dirty recordings with it. It’s the best investment I ever made.
Andy

TSR8 Reel Hubs

Gentlemen, I need assistance.

The reel hubs on by TSR8 need to be replaced. They have a screw in the center with a philips head configuration. I am able to remove the screw but cannot budge the hubs. Am wondering if there is some other hidden screw that I am not seeing. Sometime back, a local store had an earlier version of a Tascam 8 track. The sales rep told me the hubs just pull off and showed me by removing the ones from the deck they had. But as I said, I can't seem to make mine budge. Am afarid to exert more force for fear of damaging the unit. The manual does not indicate any other pins or screws.
Any insights will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Back