16 bit VS. 24 bit

JesusFreak

Hi Gang,

Got a question...I have the Korg D1600 and it is capable of recording in both 16 and 24 bit modes uncompressed. Since they are both uncompressed, is there really going to be THAT much of a difference in sound quality on my recordings??

I tried the search and it didn't accept 24 as a searchable string.

Thanks all.

God Bless!

The topic has been discussed many times over here, maybe you can search on bit or bitrate?

Off course 24 bit is theoretically beter, because you got a more accurate digital sample. 24 bit has other disadvantages, it needs lots of memory and some machines have difficulties with that, so you have to make up for yourself if the difference in quality is worth the hassle. I think it depends on what your using your recordings for: If there just for you or as demo job it is maybe more easy to go for the 16 bit, but if you really want to come ut with your recordings you can think about recording at 24 bit.

I davise you just try the two, and compare. Then you can hear the difference.

yes it's been discussed many times. Many great recordings are in 16 bits.
My advice is to try to record with 16, cause that will force you to learn how to adjust your gain structure the best way. Then go up to 24 and compare.

Cheers, Andrés

I will admit that I have noticed a positive difference using 24 bit, but the use of memory is probably equally as increased.

Thanks for the responses guys...I do appreciate it...sorry I didn't find a previous thread with this..will try again...and will probably try to start in 16 bit so I can compare like you all suggested.

Thanks again.

God Bless!

I have used the Korg D1600 and 24 bit definately sounds much better.

A good benchmark is to record at a lower volume level and compare the 2 sounds. You will definately here a difference here. This is a practical situation as well since you don't compress everything going down to tape and you can't expect to get hot levels across the board.

One thing to keep in mind about recording 24 bit on the Korg D1600 is that you only get 8 tracks. With 16 bit you get all 16 tracks.

Hello Macroman,

I had read about the 16 vs 8 track deal when recording in 24 bit but if the clarity and quality is that much better, I think I will do it anyway....plus, since there is the ability to bounce tracks to one track, I dont' think that the going from 16 to 8 tracks with be that big of a deal anyway....I hope...

If you can think of any other things I'm not thinking of with this...please let me know...thanks..

God Bless!

Back