16 bit to 24 bit

bigtom

I have Cubase 4 and a Firepod. How do I change from 16 bit to 24 bit. Is it in the Firepod or Cubase or the computer or outside in the shed? I've looked all four places and can't find where to switch it. :facepalm:

I have Cubase 4 and a Firepod. How do I change from 16 bit to 24 bit. Is it in the Firepod or Cubase or the computer or outside in the shed? I've looked all four places and can't find where to switch it. :facepalm:

What... there's no big red button? Damn... :laughings:

*googles firepod*

Where are you gleaning the intelligence that you're working in 16 bit?

I've searched the Firepod manual for you (I'll bill you, OK...) for "16" and pretty much the only time it shows up is in a phone number and at the bottom of page 16. We can probably thus assume it only does 24 bit ...

I'd be looking in Cubase if I were you. I apologise for not being in a position to download 31MB of zipped Cubase 4 manuals for you to pinpoint the exact place, but you can do that yourself, yes?

You have installed the Firepod driver and Cubase is talking to your Firepod isn't it?

There are some regular Cubasers here, one of them will give you more information, I'm sure, once they detect your distress... I've rung the HR Cubase bell for you, but they don't always answer... :D

Good luck...

What... there's no big red button? Damn... :laughings:

*googles firepod*

Where are you gleaning the intelligence that you're working in 16 bit?

I've searched the Firepod manual for you (I'll bill you, OK...) for "16" and pretty much the only time it shows up is in a phone number and at the bottom of page 16. We can probably thus assume it only does 24 bit ...

I'd be looking in Cubase if I were you. I apologise for not being in a position to download 31MB of zipped Cubase 4 manuals for you to pinpoint the exact place, but you can do that yourself, yes?

You have installed the Firepod driver and Cubase is talking to your Firepod isn't it?

There are some regular Cubasers here, one of them will give you more information, I'm sure, once they detect your distress... I've rung the HR Cubase bell for you, but they don't always answer... :D

Good luck...

I've been using Cubase and the Firepod together for years. It is only recently that I've decided to switch over to using 24 bit instead of 16 bit. I never even thought to look in the Cubase manual and I don't have a manual for the Firepod. I also don't have internet at the studio and it never occurred to me to download one once I was back in the house.

Thanks for the help

So I went back out to the studio and looked. Yep, there it was. It had been there the entire time. I had never thought to look there before, but once I did, there it was. I'm now recording in 24 bit!!!.

So I went back out to the studio and looked. Yep, there it was. It had been there the entire time. I had never thought to look there before, but once I did, there it was. I'm now recording in 24 bit!!!.
Soooooper! Now of course you are taking full advantage of that increased "legroom" and recording at an average level of -18dBFS?
Now, last time I looked Cubase did not have dB marking on its meters (can it have?) so record a tone in Audacity at neg 18 for calibration.

Dave.

Back