13th Omen America's Army Video

13th_Omen

Hi all!

I have been posting on this forum for a while now and have yet to let anyone hear my music! Well, I play this game online called America's Army. It is a free download from www.americasarmy.com if you are interested. Some people that play have created videos and put music to them. I thought it would be a challenge considering I haven't explored much of the video ascpects yet. So I made a video and put one of my band's songs to it!

About the song:

It's called "Aparition" written by my band 13th Omen. I recorded it live, no overdubs and did very little mixing. I record with (2)Terretec PHASE 88s on a P4 2.6 1024 RAM in SONAR 3 PE. Be advised the video has poor audio quality due to the bad conversion drivers in Ulead Video Studio. It may contain some peaks so dont give it TOO much juice! I have supplied the link to the video and to the MP3 by itself, the MPS sounds much better but still not as good as the WAV. LEt me know what you guys think of the song. I realize it has a lot of flaws, as noted it was a live recording. I was also sick with a sinus infection so vox are not really up to my ability. BTW I play guitar/sing and do all of the recording engineering. Enjoy!

13th Omen "Aparition" America's Army VIDEO

13th Omen "Aparition" SONG

Very intense stuff! It's a far cry from my music so I don't have any expertise at telling you anything about your music other than I think this song rocks. Nice guitar work! I've always wanted to play my electric like that, I'm jealous.

Thanx guitarhunny!

I realize it's not your style of music, as I have listened to your stuff. It's cool that music spans worldwide and people who don't really "like" a style of music and still appreciate it for it's talent and creativity. What do you think of the video aspect? I plan on making a "true" video for this song as well as other of my band's tunes. Have you thought of doing any of that yet? With today's technology all you need is a decent digital camcorder and some software and voila!

Anyone else going to comment on this?

Over 28 views and only one reply? Am I that bad? I am looking for some comments on the song, as I am in the process of laying it down for real. As stated, this is just a live recording. I have noticed a lot of time slipping that we have to get right. Any other comments? Feedback please!!

I never said I didn't "like" this kind of music. The fact is I do really like it, I just don't know how to play it.

It would be fun to have videos. Cakewalk has some sort of video program, but I don't know much about it. I tried to edit some live performances but I couldn't get it to work.

Not bad at all, the vocals come out kinda hollow, but the shit is rockin. It also kinda starts to drag on towards the end, perhaps you could shorten it or add a tempo change.

Sweet god another gamer! you play COD at all? check out this clan: www.ncgamerz.com

Im gonna post that video over there.

13th_Omen said:
Over 28 views and only one reply? Am I that bad? I am looking for some comments on the song, as I am in the process of laying it down for real. As stated, this is just a live recording. I have noticed a lot of time slipping that we have to get right. Any other comments? Feedback please!!
Easy, there happens to be music blasting through the house right now but as soon as the album is over I will give a full review.

you're thinking "oh great"

Well, there's no way I am gonna DL 28 megs of video before hearing the song so...

Vocal is a bit too wide to really make out, it hits too soft and the very slight pitch difficulty makes it a bit weird. The snare could snap out a bit more. I would boost a spike of 4-6k on it or use a multiband to emphasize the snap.
The click of the kick is over the top to my ears I would pull out a bit of the 3k that was probably added. The guitars sound like they are a bit too fuzzy and don't have enough mid meat to them. I am not sure anything could be done about that now unless you are using software to make the guitar sound which it sounds like may be the case.

Yeah, that kick slap is the loudest thing in the mix, cut it down a bit.

The mix in general lacks focus and mid clarity.

starts to drag on towards the end, perhaps you could shorten it or add a tempo change

You referring to the quiet part after the solo?

The mix in general lacks focus and mid clarity.

Thanx for the mixing tips. I really haven't had a chance to get to the final mix phase yet so haven't been able to compare my mixes on other systems. I guess I failed to stress however, that this is just a live recording and that I am looking for more in the way of SONG criticism, not yet the mix.

Thanx for the replies fellas!

guitarhunny,

Any idea what that Cakewalk program is?

It is part of Cakewalk Homestudio Version 2. I don't know much about it, just that it is there. When I get some better performance video I want to play with it but I wont have time until after I finish the recordings I am working on now.

Back