1200 euro's to spend, Looking for bass amp...

SureShotStudio

Hello,

a bassplaying friend of mine has given me the permission to buy him a bass amp within the budget of 1200 euro's ...... That bass amp will be housed in my studio so we can use it for band practice and i can use it for recording when we're not practicing.... :cool:

Since i'm a guitar player , i have no idea where to start. All we know is that we're looking for a high quality amp which doesn't need to have a very high wattage and preferably with vacuum tubes. We do not mind buying second hand. The music we play is ranging from dub, reggea ,ska , surf rock , stoner rock, garage rock, punk, world music, jazz, blues etc etc(not all at the same time) etc etc... so the problem is it has to be a versatile amp with a lot of low end.......

If someone with a bit more experience with bass amps could break my options down a little bit. At the moment i only have experience with ampeg and trace elliot amps.

greets

Thomas

Why do you think you need vacuum tubes?

I grew up in the vacuum-tube era and mistrusted solid-state amps for a few years, because they were new and different. And, I still think tube amps are usually better for electric guitar (but not always). But, as a bassist, I have embraced transistors. Solid-state amps have just as wide a palette of sounds at lower cost and lower weight.

For tube amps, values are the Yorkville/Traynor line out of Canada. The Ampeg V4B is/was a nice amp. For solid-state amps, you have a lot more choices - SWR, Gallien-Krueger, Hartke, Fender, the list goes on... Stay away from the Rogues and modern-day Kustoms.

we want tubes because we want to be able to overdrive the bass. besides most of the music we make is inspired on music from the 60ies 70ies and we just like that vintage sound. i know solid state can be a better choice for some things.But the stuff i own or have used that has tubes in em usually sound better than the stuff that doesn't have em (although i have heard crap tube stuff) . For instance i like my fender twin reverb and crate vintage club amps (a whole lot) better than my solid state roland and fender amps.

like i said i have very little experience with bass amps and i have no idea what to look for. i would love to hear some descriptions of the sound of certain brands of amps.... for instance the difference between a fender guitar amp and a marshall is pretty obvious to me. but the difference between for instance a trace elliot and a swr amp is not so obvious to me.

i know we still have to go out and listen to the amps before deciding (like always) but it might make my search a bit easier.....

Back