12-string Tele Deluxe p'ups?

Unsprung

I've decided, as I have for my want of a lap steel, that I will build my own 12-string electric guitar. In looking at the various bodies and necks available, I've decided that I'll go with a Warmouth reproduction '72 Telecaster Deluxe body, and Warmouth Pro 12-string neck. They also sell a Gotoh flat mount (hard tail) 12-string bridge, and they can also prep the body for this bridge, as well. This leaves me with trying to decide which pickups to use, given that stock Tele Deluxe routing will be HH, and I've also decided to go with a mahogany body and neck, with a rosewood fingerboard.

So far, these are the pickups I'm considering:

-Fender wide-range humbuckers (as on an actual Fender Tele Deluxe)
-TV Jones Power`Tron
-GFS Dream 90

Also, since Warmouth allows various options for pickup routings/cuts for their bodies and pickguards, I'm considering the possibility of Fender Dove P90 pickups. The tone I'm going for is the jingle-jangle of a Rickenbacker 360/12 a la George Harrison/Roger McGuinn, so in that case, would I be okay with my body/neck/fingerboard woods, mentioned above, or might I go with all maple, as with Rickenbacker construction?

Once I have my body and neck, I hope I'll be able to get a decent price at one of the local auto-body shops, on painting everything (except the fingerboard).

Matt

For the jingle-jangle, I'd go with the the TV Jones. If you want a P-90 sound (which is less jangle), I'd suggest Lindy Fralin's P-92s. For a little more twang/jangle, Lindy's Twangmasters would be a good choice as well. All of those are hum canceling choices, but they are also zero compromise choices in terms of tone. The P-92s and Twangmasters would also have an appropriate look for a Tele Deluxe (they look more like Fender humbuckers).

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Somebody at the Unofficial Warmouth forums turned me on to these...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/meal2ritovij.html

If I was planning to use a Thinline Tele body, I could get fairly close to a Rickenbacker 360/12, but for still wanting to go with a Telecaster Deluxe body (a gut feeling), I'll probably be closer to a 660/12. For now, I've still got to build my lap steel guitar, then I'll get to the 12-string Tele Deluxe project.

I really think I'm simply trying to cover up my G.A.S. (18 guitars total) in the guise of "let's see if I can build exactly what I want..." for a couple, or two or three guitars.

Matt

Somebody at the Unofficial Warmouth forums turned me on to these...

http://store.guitarfetish.com/meal2ritovij.html

If I was planning to use a Thinline Tele body, I could get fairly close to a Rickenbacker 360/12, but for still wanting to go with a Telecaster Deluxe body (a gut feeling), I'll probably be closer to a 660/12. For now, I've still got to build my lap steel guitar, then I'll get to the 12-string Tele Deluxe project.

I really think I'm simply trying to cover up my G.A.S. (18 guitars total) in the guise of "let's see if I can build exactly what I want..." for a couple, or two or three guitars.

Matt

The few Guitar Fetish products I have seen have not lived up to the expectations people seem to have for them. I would strongly suggest going with the TV Jones if that is what you want - you really do get what you pay for most of the time.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

I would strongly suggest going with the TV Jones if that is what you want - you really do get what you pay for most of the time.

Light

M.K. Gandhi

TV Jones does sound good, though. Should I get the Tele Deluxe body rear routed, I could get the typical TV Jones mounting option, which is surface mount. It'd look a tad more like a Ric, then.

Matt

Back