12 string Bang for Buck

virtual.ray

So I'm sitting at home and it hits me,wow,I don't have a 12 string! I mean,I've written songs on 12 string,I've made records with a 12 string,I've busked with 12 strings.I DON'T HAVE A 12 STRING!!! (That's one of the down sides of moving a lot,too much stuff to carry.) So I get in the car and go 4 miles to my local Mega Lo Guitar Mart,and as if on cue,there's a salesman who says,"Check this out." It's a used Simon & Patrick 12 string that the store had just put a new set of Elixir strings on.I lookat it,it's fairly beat up,needs a truss rod tweak,etc. but then I start strumming it,and I'm smiling! It sounds good! Solid Cedar top,laminated Wild Cherry back and sides. I leave a half hour later with it for $246 out the door. After some research I now know that it's one of LaSiDo's brands out of La Patrie in Quebec,they also make Seagull which I've also played since,also very good for the price.I'm looking for a pickup for it now,I think I'm gonna try the Baggs iBeam.

Is there a question in there virtual ray.

I'd be sceptical of buying a guitar that noticably needed a truss rod adjustment; some damage can not be fixed easily/inexpensivley.

No,no question.I just wanted to let anyone who cares know that a good sounding 12 string is available (the brand,not my particular guitar) for not a lot of "dosh." BTW,the "tweak" I spoke of would not be to correct any warpage,but just to conform to my personal preferences.

Eurythmic said:
Fender makes an acoustic 12-string, the DG 10-12, that sounds quite good for the list price of $349.

A salesman in a music store told me that none of the under $1K Fender 12 strings have solid tops,wheras the S&P and the Seagull do.

Beats me. :) I just played it, thought it sounded good, and bought it. I was young and foolish then. I don't own the guitar anymore, but as I say, when I had it I thought it had a nice tone. A lot of people had similar comments, too - they wanted to know what it was. I'm not sure if I'd necessarily buy it again, but then, the next time I buy an acoustic guitar, it probably won't be a $250 guitar, either. :)

I haven't heard of S&P, but I tested some 6-string guitars by Seagull about a year ago - it was actually when I decided that it was time to sell the Fender 12-string. I was going to use it as a trade-in, but I ended up just consigning it and pocketing the money instead.

The Seagulls that I tested were some of the best sounding under-$1000 guitars I've ever played.

Seagulls are great secrets - they use solid woods, they have a design that requires a little less bending (which I suppose leads to less waste) and are set up well. No frills, good sound, low cost. Nice combination.

Back