12-bit samplers vs NI Kontakt?!?

StudioRecorder

So my friend has this Roland W30 sampler and we did some drumloops with it and it sounded really good. So I was wondering if it was possible to get that punchy 12-bit sound through a Native Instruments KONTAKT or if it's a pretty impossible task?

You can always de-bit the sounds in Kontakt, but will it ever get that punchy and crisp as with a hardware sampler? In other words, is it a good idea to purchase a 12-bit hardware sampler when I'm running everything else on a virtual sytem?

If you're sampling your own sounds, just sample them at 12-bit, and 22khz, which I think is probably more important. Then you can arrange your hits in Kontakt, etc.

If you're using sample cds, then you could try Kontakt's downsampling, or downsample in an audio editor, like CoolEdit or Wavelab.

There's several free VST bitcrushers availible, and ReFX's Trasher II is a steal at $19.99

I think it's a fine idea to get a hardware sampler with a virtual system. My personal experience with production was at first, I was in love with the versatility and price of virtual instruments, but as I progressed, I really began to appreciate hardware and outboard gear. I'd recommend getting a sampler than can do all sorts of sampling and bitrates, then you can always opt for the lower rates when the tune calls for it, but you won't be lacking in fidelity with piano/string samples.

-Chris

Back