10KHz overbias for 3M 996 on ReVox A77?

N7SC

Does anyone know the correct setting, -dB below peak signal, for 3M 996 on a 2-track Revox A77?

Not sure if it can do it... 5 dB @ 7-1/2 ips, given it has a .25 head gap like most Studers. Do you have the specs?

Last edited:
Thanks. No specs for the head gap, unfortunately. Not even in the service manual. But -5 dB beyond peak should be easy, because the service manual gives -6 over peak for several tapes, including 3M 256, Ampex 456, Agfa 528 & 468, etc.

I've been wondering if the gap is the same as other Studer machines, and since the Revox decks are only just barely disguised Studers it makes sense that the gap should be the same. But I'll try to verify it somehow.

The real acid test will be setting operating level once the bias is set for 996. I've been assuming that since it is a "mini-Studer" it should have no problem at all cranking up to a +6 or maybe even +9 operating level, with no distortion. It is built, including the electronics, like a tank. No, make that "better and more solid than a tank." Do you think its record amps will be able to put out at that level?

Its a long time since you posted the question. Maybe you will read this maybe not.

I dont think you will have any problems reaching a +6dB operating level. Many users
use Quantegy 456 tape which is a +6dB tape. Whether they use this as a +6dB tape
or not I dont know. They could still have the machine aligned for +3dB and just using
the extra headroom and lower distortion that a +6dB tape would allow if used at +3dB

However +6dB operating level is OK but i'm told A77 will not go to +9dB as the record
amps can't manage it. Cant help with your overbias settings as i'm not familiar with
3M 996

Demto

Back