$,1000 preamp (and mic?) for voice over

Dannyg2

The one thing I have learned from reading all the threads on preamps is that there seems to be no consensus on what is the best way to go, but I thought I would try again...

My needs are simple as I am only interested in voice over recording. I have started with an Mbox2 and an AKG 451 mic. I chose this mic because it is the mic of choice by the professional studio I trained at. I know that it is a good mic but it has a small diaphragm and many people think that it’s not the best for voice over because of this. I also have to crank the Mbox very high to get good recording levels, and I don’t feel the Mbox is giving me the best quality sound. My first thought is to try a preamp and see what that does, and maybe change the mic after that if necessary. I spoke with one sound engineer and he recommended the Presonus MP20. He also said that what ever I buy it should have a low end roll off. But the MP20 is two channel and I’d rather not pay for a channel I won’t use. I also don’t want a compressor in the preamp.

So here we go... I’m looking for recommendations for a mid-level, one channel preamp that will give me clean sound. The preamp will go to the Mbox2. What are your thoughts on this and should I really be considering a preamp/mic combo. Budget is $1,000 but would like to keep it less if just for a preamp.

Dannyg2 said:
My needs are simple as I am only interested in voice over recording. I have started with an Mbox2 and an AKG 451 mic. I chose this mic because it is the mic of choice by the professional studio I trained at. I know that it is a good mic but it has a small diaphragm and many people think that it’s not the best for voice over because of this.

So here we go... I’m looking for recommendations for a mid-level, one channel preamp that will give me clean sound. The preamp will go to the Mbox2. What are your thoughts on this and should I really be considering a preamp/mic combo. Budget is $1,000 but would like to keep it less if just for a preamp.
The C451 is a wonderful mic, but it is absolutely the WRONG mic for voiceover work. There are countless mics that might work well for you: RE20, SM7, AT4050 or 4047, MD431, probably dozens of others depending on what matches your voice.

If you put half of your $1000 into a good mic, that will leave you enough to buy an RNP or a Brick. For voiceover work, you might want a compressor as well.

I would second the EV RE-20 for your mic. I would get that first and see how it sounds with your current set up before investing in a new mic pre.

EV RE-20 is a good selection for voice-over/broadcast work, you see (and hear) it used for that all the time. Also look at the Audio Technica AT4040 or AT4050 mics. As far as the preamp I'd suggest a Grace 101.

These selections will get you both preamp and mic for at or under your budget.

SonicAlbert said:
EV RE-20 is a good selection for voice-over/broadcast work, you see (and hear) it used for that all the time...As far as the preamp I'd suggest a Grace 101.

These selections will get you both preamp and mic for at or under your budget.

I think that would be a great combo!

What's the reason you don't want a compressor? An RE-20 through a Symetrix 528e is a rather common configuration in voice over work. As for the 451, I did a couple of sessions at a pretty well respected voice over studio in Connecticut. They ran a 451 through a Symetrix 528e and it sounded pretty darn good. Not that I'm pushing the 528e or compression. Just curious as to why no compressor.

I agree with Kid and Big Kenny on this one. That would be a very safe and fool-proof setup.

I still think it's overkill, as just about any decent LDC and budget preamp will probably do the trick for VO ... but that particular combo would have a smaller margin for error.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Steve, you may have noticed in my opening message that the studio I trained in used the 451 and that's why I bought one myself. (This studio is in CT so maybe it's the same one your talking about? The problem is the gain on the Mbox2 is almost maxed out to get a decent level. That's why my question of either a new mic and/or preamp. The reason for not wanting compression on the pre is 1) I want the money to go into the mic and pre, I can always add the compressor later and in the meantime use the software compressors, and 2) I have been told by many in the business to bring in the voice as clean as possible and then work with it if it needs it.

Dannyg2 said:
The reason for not wanting compression on the pre is 1) I want the money to go into the mic and pre, I can always add the compressor later and in the meantime use the software compressors, and 2) I have been told by many in the business to bring in the voice as clean as possible and then work with it if it needs it.

...your reasoning for omitting the compressor is fine, but IMHO the Safe Sound Pre is a good deal pricewise, even without the compression features (which can be bypassed anyway)...the SS pre is a high-quality pre with ample gain (which you'll need with a pro quality dynamic like the RE20)...and once you get comfortable with the pre/mic combo, you'll have good quality outboard compression to experiment with...
...I have the Presonus MP20 you mentioned (the original version with Jensen transformers and the Burr-Brown upgraded op-amps) and although it's a very usable decent quality pre, the Safe Sound is a definative step up in quality with more available gain...worth your consideration...

The combo below should do the trick. The first link is for an EV RE-20 with the second link being a Symetrix 528E which is found in radio stations and studios all over the world. The third link is info on the 528E and the fourth link is for a new 528E.

If you buy both new it should be somewhere around $900 but if you buy used you can knock off another $300 or so. Good luck.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ElectroVoice-EV...387022610QQcategoryZ41466QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/SYMETRIX-528E-V...390147711QQcategoryZ23790QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.symetrixaudio.com/index.php?Show=14&Show1=&Show2=312

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/528E/

Thanks to all. I'm first going to get he Symetrix 528e and see what that does with the 451 mic. Next step will be the EV RE-20

Dannyg2 said:
Thanks to all. I'm first going to get he Symetrix 528e and see what that does with the 451 mic. Next step will be the EV RE-20

...if the Symetrix is where you want to go, don't overlook the original 528 (selling for MUCH less than the 528E)...Jim Williams (very well known among pro broadcast techs) does a component "upgrade" on the original 528 that will smoke the more current "E" version...here's the links:

http://cgi.ebay.com/SYMETRIX-528-VO...ryZ23790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.audioupgrades.com/pl1.html

My narration/VO setup has a couple of different versions, depending on the desires of the talent. I try to use whatever I have that is closest to the talents own equipment. Recently, I had a well known voice talent in the DC area ask if I had a 414. I didn't.
My default VO gear is an EV RE20 into a UA610, then into a dbx 160. She seemed to like the combination very much. I have also used a Sennheiser 416, or my one really good LDC, or one of my bargain LDC's. For ribbons, I have had good results with my Beyer M500, and Royer 121, although with soft spoken people I often daisey chain a Grace 101 to the line input on the UA to pump up the gain.
poux

Back