$1000 Condenser for male folk/blues vocals

joedubois

I'm a folksy blues singer interested in people's experiences who are similarly styled singers/recording artists with mics in the (roughly) $1000 range. Especially with regard to the following:

Blue Bottle Rocket Stage 1
Blue Blueberry
Shure KSM44
Neuamann TLM 103
AKG C414

Do any mics in the $400-600 range compete? (Rode NTK, K2; TLM-102; AT4050; Blue baby bottle; others?). BTW, I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

Last edited:
I think the TLM103 is the best out of the bunch, especially for the style you mention, it's worth listening to a few clips though before investing in one, not everyone likes them but I think it's the best vocal mic under $1000

I have a 414 and a Rode NT2, which was much cheaper. I prefer the NT2 on vocals, but that's just my voice... accuracy is not always desirable..:D

I don't think the various iterations of the 414 have that much of a rep as vocal mics, but I'm not the expert.

I would think, because of it's very neutral/transparent sonic personality, the KSM 44 should definitely be in the hunt.

Tom

The one in there that stands out as the winner is the 414. The 414 is going to do very well against those, and will be useable in more situations.

The NT or K2 can work once they are warmed up for at least 30 minutes. Actually I would take either of these over the Neumann TLM49 which unless you have a beefy transformer somewhere in the chain i.e. preamp or compressor, is not as rich sounding. None of your list would compete with a AT4060, Pearlman TM1 or Rodes Classic all of which can be found around the $1000 mark used. The 414 on the right vocal, could also be a contender.

Of your shortlist, the TLM 103 would be my favourite by a reasonable margin. However, a couple of off the wall thoughts:

First, do you ever perform live and need a mic for that? If so, consider the Neumann KSM104. It's a great vocal mic for your style of music but it can also work well in a recording application. (And it's somewhat under your budget.)

Second, although I have a TLM103, a lot of vocalists I have in doing your musical style now prefer (and ask for) one of my sE2200A mics. It's a lot less money than the TLM103 but has a clarity in the upper mids that seems to suit folksy blues where intelligibility is a big issue.

First, do you ever perform live and need a mic for that? If so, consider the Neumann KSM104. It's a great vocal mic for your style of music but it can also work well in a recording application. (And it's somewhat under your budget.)

Second, although I have a TLM103, a lot of vocalists I have in doing your musical style now prefer (and ask for) one of my sE2200A mics. It's a lot less money than the TLM103 but has a clarity in the upper mids that seems to suit folksy blues where intelligibility is a big issue.

I do perform live and use a Shure beta 58 which has always suited me pretty well, although the only alternative mic that I've used is an SM58. I have never used the KSM104, but am interested in hearing how it sounds. Thanks for the suggestion! Also, I hadn't considered the se2200A. I'll check that out. Thanks!

The NT or K2 can work once they are warmed up for at least 30 minutes. Actually I would take either of these over the Neumann TLM49 which unless you have a beefy transformer somewhere in the chain i.e. or compressor, is not as rich sounding. None of your list would compete with a AT4060, Pearlman TM1 or Rodes all of which can be found around the $1000 mark used. The 414 on the right vocal, could also be a contender.

I had never heard that the NT and K2 needed to be warmed up. That's good to know! As far as a transformer, I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which has 8 preamps built in. I have looked into the AT4060, and Rode Classic II, but hadn't checked out the Pearlman TM1. Thanks for the suggestions!

I had never heard that the NT and K2 needed to be warmed up. That's good to know! As far as a transformer, I use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, which has 8 preamps built in. I have looked into the AT4060, and Rode Classic II, but hadn't checked out the Pearlman TM1. Thanks for the suggestions!

I don't know about 30 minutes (depends on the temperature), but the NTK definitely wants to be warmed up. It's ready when you put your hand on it, and it feels like touching a warm body instead of cold metal. The simplest way for me is just to power up the mic and turn on the Lava Lamp at the same time. Once the lamp is working, the mic is good to go. See- those damned lamps really are good for something!

Back