100 yearold Tascam us224 - clipping in ableton...

olegg

hi guys. please help me if you can.
i decided to buy my very first audio interface and bumped into this Tascam us-224. i really like it , i know its from 2001 or smth but it has all the features audio interfaces have nowadays. it also serves me as a midi mixer, which is really cool.
however i get poor performance of it as a sound card, or its just my computer. and thats what i try to figure out.
i get clipping and high latency even if i add only one plugin to one instrument and nothing more. and thats really devastating, because i was hoping to be able to plug in two instruments simultaneously plus midi keyboard and then add effects in ableton...and then route that mix with JACK to server in order to play online with my friend. however it turned out to be more difficult than i thought.
could you please tell me whether i should buy more modern interface or its just my computer that is not capable of such things..
i attach the characteristics of my computer and the situation in ableton..also 256 samples buffer size is the minimum Tascam offers..
cheers
xx

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    89.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Untitled2.png
    Untitled2.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 12
If this machne is that old, it is probably using USB 1.0 and early at that. I am not sure if it is clipping, but I wouldn't be surprised if at higher sample rates you start getting audio drops.

i have usb cable that has USB 2.0 sticker on it and it works with Tascam.. or its supposed to do so?
but yeah .. i have suspicion that its just too old to handle todays' operations..

i have usb cable that has USB 2.0 sticker on it and it works with Tascam.. or its supposed to do so?
but yeah .. i have suspicion that its just too old to handle todays' operations..
See if you can find the old spec sheet to see what the Tascam has. USB 1 and 2 use the same cable, so you can't depend on that.

I think you can use the Tascam, probably limit to tracking and no motioning, decrease bit rate, from 24 to 16, or just use lower total track count. But it is usable, just limited.

i guess this is the most complete info http://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/US-224_EN.pdf
and because not a word said about usb 2.0 , that means most probably that this model of tascam is not using it..

thank you so much for clarifying everything to me. i guess i will have to buy new audio interface. but as for now , i ll use it following your advice. and i guess the first recordings of me and my friend will be really low-fi sound :)

i guess this is the most complete info http://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/US-224_EN.pdf
and because not a word said about usb 2.0 , that means most probably that this model of tascam is not using it..

thank you so much for clarifying everything to me. i guess i will have to buy new audio interface. but as for now , i ll use it following your advice. and i guess the first recordings of me and my friend will be really low-fi sound :)

I use 16/41, that is CD quality and higher quality than MP3. Lo-Fi is relative.

so, do i get it right, that most of modern audio interfaces use usb 2.0? because i can't find it in some models' specs. for example m audio m-track?

Last edited:
Back