100 mics and 50 preamps – and we're just getting started.

ya that was track 5 that made me cry (in a bad way) 6 didnt sound much better . Too bad, i had been looking at the AT 3035 as my 1st under 200 LDC......

"VTB1 & 4050 (tube blend) "

WOAH NELLY...i guess im way off....either way The Beyer 160 MP-NV1 really grabs me, THATS how i think a guitar should sound (by itself)
Now maybe your looking at the bigger picture that i cant see?

Naw, I don't think you're way off at all. The MP-1NV was good too... but didn't like it with the C1... the highs were a bit fuzzy, and undefined.

The SM57 & MP-1NV sounded good, & IMO the SM57 & John Hardy was one of the tighter ones, too.

The C1 & Phoenix sounded really, really tight, defined, and even on monitors... yet it sounds like it's clipping all over the place on computer speakers... (they probably had the input trim a bit too high during tracking). BUT that sound, to me, was great.

And you're right... the Beyer 160 does certainly band-limit the guitar to the "right" frequencies for your typical busy mix (IMO).

For some reason, file #6 did sound quite a bit better than 5 on my monitors... guess I'll just trust the ol' ears on that one :)

Middleman said:
I learned 2 things from listening to these.

1. I want a Neumann TLM103
2. I want a Great River MP-1NV

I think you should recalibrate your monitoring system.

Or maybe I need to recalibrate mine.

I think the Studio Projects mics fare a lot better than their preamp does. The C1 is a little hyped for my taste, but the B1 sounds good, and the TB-1 very smooth.

The vtb1 is obviously the least expensive pre of the bunch, and it really shows. The only pres I wasn't impressed with were the vtb1 and the Speck. Everything else seemed to take turns having it's moments, but nothing really stood out head-and-shoulders or anything on a consistant basis.

The differences were so subtle, if I had to pick one, it would probably be the Phoenix Audio (I remember liking more than a few of the tracks with it in particular), but I'm sure I could make some perfectly good recordings with any of them, including the Studio Projects (if I were held at gunpoint).

Ever since windows 95, file names can be as long as you want. Why the hell didn't they just put the full mic and pre name and tracking notes into the file name ?

Back