10 Must have mics?

fiveironguy

In your opinion what are the 10 must have mics out there right now. I Have a fairly developed studio but feel like im lacking in the mic section, i record all types of music. Give me your top 10! thanks y'all.

Rather than providing specific models, I would say you should have:

1. A number of "utility" dynamic mics - Shure SM57, Sennheiser MD421, MD441;
2. Omni dynamic mic(s) - EV 635A or 655;
3. Really nice LD dynamic mic(s) - EV RE20 and/or Shure SM7;
4. At least one pair of small-diaphragm condensors - Shure SM81, Oktava MK012, Marshall 603, Neumann KM84/184, etc..;
5. A couple of LD condensors - too many good choices to name;
6. At least one nice ribbon mic with figure-of-eight pattern - AEA R84 or R44, Royer R121, Coles 4038, etc..
7. A couple of mics you like for bass drum;
8. A nice condensor mic with switchable patterns (can be one of #5 above).

A solid mic locker on ~$5-7k

Dynamics:
EV RE-20
Shure SM7b
Sennheiser MD421 (2-3)
Sennheiser MD441

Condensers:
Large:
Neumann U87
Soundelux U195
Neumann M147 (or another tube mic)

Small:
dpa, shoeps, or earthworks omnis (2)
Neumann KM184 (2)

Ribbons:
Royer R-121
AEA R84

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I feel like i keep buying something at one price point and then moving up to a higher price point and then not being satisfied with the rest of my gear. Right now i have a rode ntk, some sm57's and some sm81's. I use these to record threw moslty aphex preamps into my motu 896 firwire unit.. the sound quality is ok.. just feel like it needs something more.

fiveironguy said:
Thanks for the suggestions guys, I feel like i keep buying something at one price point and then moving up to a higher price point and then not being satisfied with the rest of my gear. Right now i have a rode ntk, some sm57's and some sm81's. I use these to record threw moslty aphex preamps into my motu 896 firwire unit.. the sound quality is ok.. just feel like it needs something more.

Nothing wrong with those mics, so if you aren't getting good results I'd look at your techniques first and your room after that. Then look at mic upgrades.

i agree that it has a lot to do with technique, and partially my unhappiness with my skill level. I found i never had issues while recording stuff that was just acoustic.. but now that i am getting into heavier stuff i find i cant find happiness in my distorted guitar sounds. Ive read a lot and tried alot, but in the end i decided it was mostly cause i wasnt in love with my guitar sound in the first place, so i just sold all my guitar gear and bought 3 new guitars and a new head for my cab, i do wanna keep working my way up in mics though, i come from a city with not a lot of recording facilities, and the ones we do have are way over priced. So id like to be able to offer a good alternative for less money. I know, i know that you need lots of good stuff to start a studio.. and i am ready to pay for that.. I probably will never charge more than 15 an hour for mine anyways. Maybe people have suggestions on how i oculd use my mics to mic a cab?

I forgot to add some C414's to my list. Those are studio staples as well, especially, the BULS.

My Top Ten (in no particular order):

ElectroVoice RE20
AKG 414
Shure SM81
Sennheiser MD421
Beyer M160
Neumann U89
Sennheiser e609
AKG D12
Audio Technica 4060
AKG C12

fiveironguy said:
In your opinion what are the 10 must have mics out there right now. I Have a fairly developed studio but feel like im lacking in the mic section, i record all types of music. Give me your top 10! thanks y'all.

Pair of KM184s (or KM84s used)

Pair of UM70s

TLM 170 (workhorse)

AKG 414 (older version)

AT 4060

AT4033

Pair of SM81s

SM57s (box)

Sen 421

Audio 2000 (AlNiCo)

Don't buy mics just beacuse a bunc of people on a forum say it's good... go test it first!

But some good mics...

MD421
AKG 414
a bunch of SM57
Some AT4033's
Maybe AT4060
Beta56 to try something new on snares
Rode Classic 2?
SOUNDELUX e250?

What type of vocal do you mostly get?

Maybe save some money for a distressor or good premp's also.

SD condensors (get a pair):

Josephson C42
Neuman KM184 (84s would be better)
AT-4051 or 4053 (will take omni capsules as well)
Gefell M300s

Good all purpose dynamics (need at least a handful of these - especially if you are going to do drums):

Sennheiser MD 421 (get 2)
Sennheiser MD 441
SM-57 (don't bother with a 58)
Beyer M201

Kick mic (pick one or you could just use the RE-20):

Audix D6
AT ATM25
AKG D12 or D112
Beyer M380

LD Dynamics (pick one):

EV RE-20
Shure SM7

LD Condensor (optional if you get a better LD vocal condensor):

Pair AT-4050 or Shure KSM-44

Better Vocal LD condensor (find one you like):

Soundeluxe U-195
Pearlman TM-1
Gefell UM70
AT-4060
Groove Tubes MD3 (or MD3a)
Neumann U87
Neumann U89

Ribbon (one or more depending):

AEA R84
Beyer M160
Royer R121

Others I happen to like - YMMV:

Groove Tubes GT-44/AM-40 MD tube mic
EV 635a omni dynamic
Groove Tubes MD1 (MD1a)
Beyer M500 ribbon
Anything Gefell

All around GO TO microphone--Stephen Paul Audio Mod u87(smokes )
The best small diaphragm condensors- DPA 4022s, Microtech Gefell sms 2000(with card, omni, or hyper cals)Josephson c617 bodies with MG MK221 capsules

Large Diaphragm Mics--AT4050s,(BLAZE on acoustic guitar) MXL 1006,ADK 51TL

Tube Mic--Microtech Gefell um 92.1

I dont know anything about dynamic mics because I dont have any :o
That SPAudio u87 is the BOMB though.

fiveironguy, that totally depends on the kind of studio you have and what you record. Could you throw us a bone with a little info about what you do?

I record everything, From acoutic folk type stuff, to medal type stuff... and everything inbetween. male and femals voices. So its hard to put my finger on one style. I have all kinds of acoustic and electric instruments and a really nice set of drums. So i feel like im up to pair on the instrument side of things. I would also really appreciate some suggestons for preamps and compressors.

Money isnt really an issue.... I mean i have to spend it as i make it.. but its all part of the plan... i would say my total studio budget is about 20 grand.. over the next 2 years.. so its just a matter of time.

whatever you record....every studio needs at least 1 Stephen Paul Audio u87.
Gefell M296s are great on acoustic guitar....
http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_topoftheline_mic_preamps/

the best preamps there are, period are above...

I am a big fan of the DW Fearn lines as well as John Hardy.

ADCs??? The Mytek 8x96 set is awesome(www.mytekdigital.com). I love mytek, they have an almost analog quality and nice imaging.
I would get a dsd deck too, for archival. tascam dvr1000.

Back