10(ish) Mic input hardware

iancl

Hey, I looked at the PreSonus FirePod, and that is the sort of thing I am after, but I'd like and extra 2 channels at least. I'd be happy with FireWire or USB or ethernet... or something else I may be able to use? (There's an idea... 54Mbps wireless digital audio? But that's not my question)

What is there available that would suit what I want. I'm looking at recording more than 16bit 44kHz, I just want 10 channels and can't find anything that isn't going totally overboard.

I'm pretty sure a shop I visited had one that did just that, in a flat-style (faders on top, rather than knobs on the front I mean), but it may have been 10 including a stereo RCA or something. I hate that, I just want 10 mic inputs!

I wouldn't buy anything more than 16 because I would NEVER use them.

Thanks

Well there are 16 Channel Firewire mixers like the "Alesis Multimix 16 FW" which can record 16 tracks at once...The thing is that it only has 8 Mic preamps and you said you need 10 ,But you could get a 2 channel Pre as well and output them into the Alesis Non-Preamped channels to give you your 10 Channels.....

There is also a 18Channel FW Mixer made by Phonix that is a Little cheaper but I think it also only has 8 Preamps....

If your present Interface as an ADAT In/Out you could get something like an ADA8000 which would add 8 Preamps to your setup for about $200...

You could also get a Card with 2 ADAT Inputs and get 2 ADA8000 for about $400 which will give you 16 Preamps with 24bit 48khz digital recording....

Cheers

You could also buy any 8-channel interface that has ADAT lightpipe input, then hook up an 8-channel preamp that outputs lightpipe.

Went into the shop today. It was indeed the Phonic, which has 16 mic inputs, and seems to be exactly what I want. Fair bit more than the FirePod, but has the extra channels, and has 32bit effects built in, which might come in handy, plus a heap more outputs, so I could use it as my main mixer.

I just got one problem though. will the FireWire be able to connent to a mini-firewire input on my laptop?

If your FW Mixer uses a seperate Power supply (An adapter or plugs into the wall) then you should be able to use it on a 4 Pin FW Port which are usually found on laptops but if the Mixer expects to get it"s power through the FW Port then it won"t work as Laptop FW Ports do not supply Power....

I suspect that since it is such a Big mixer that is has a seperate power supply through an adapter or Plugs into the wall....

Cheers

Minion said:
If your FW Mixer uses a seperate Power supply (An adapter or plugs into the wall) then you should be able to use it on a 4 Pin FW Port which are usually found on laptops but if the Mixer expects to get it"s power through the FW Port then it won"t work as Laptop FW Ports do not supply Power....

I suspect that since it is such a Big mixer that is has a seperate power supply through an adapter or Plugs into the wall....

Cheers

Thanks, that makes sense. The board is powered by one of those standard 3-pin connectors (like a guitar amp).
If anyone's interested, here's the product: http://210.243.85.5/partner/modules/product_explor/products_detail.php?product_id=141#

Minion said:

In that case, you spend about $30-40 for a cheap powered FireWire hub. :)

I am also in a similar situation. I, however, own a Firepod and would like two to four more mic inputs for it. Should I invest in a Behringer ADA8000 for the expansion, even though I don't need that many extra inputs? How does volume adjustment with the ADA8000 work with each invidividual input? Is there another product with fewer inputs that also costs less that could substitute an ADA8000?

I have also considered the Alesis Multimix series and Phonic Helix series products (firewire), which were mentioned earlier. What can I expect from these mixers? How do the preamps compare and what are their qualities? The Phonic Helix series provides a max of 96 kHz 24 bit recording while the Alesis Multimix series provides a max of 48 kHz 24 bit recording, so the Phonic is the winner in that aspect. Of course, out of both of these, I want ten or more inputs. Do these mixers allow for usage of the sliders when mixing on a computer? That would be a great plus.

Thank you for any help.

Hey, can't find that on the site... Can only see the 1220, which is just a 4 mic mixer. Got a link?

Thanks

Back