10 ins 10 outs??delta 1010

Mizchif

why would you need 10 outs if you are recording on to your computer

I don't get it

wouldn't you really just need ONE out to go to your monitors??
I don't see why you would need so many outs

ins I can understand
but outs ??

unless you are hooking up 8 speakers or whatever
I don't see the point

some people go out to a mixer and mix there instead of internally...also, multi ouputs means you can go to monitors, out to effects and back to inputs, and all sorts of other routing options.....

You can create several mixes in SW instead of replugging your mixer. Surely not as important as 10 ins on the Delta but it's a convenience for sure.

A little more specific

Many mixers have channel inserts that allow you to take a clean signal (pre EQ, pre effects) and send them to your soundcard line-ins. The benefit of this is that now you have a nice dry signal supplying seperate tracks to your computer. You can then apply software effects to each of these tracks individually to get them to sound the way you want. You can then take your soundcard outs and route them to seperate channels in the mixer for a simple mixdown panning the and EQ'ing the tracks to mix it. After applying the EQ, you route these tracks out of the mains on the mixer back into a pair of ins on your soundcard and now you have a nice stereo mix.

Just an example. Gidge and the Doc were able to put it in less words.

Ever heard of 5.1? :)
Try having 2 going to your console stereo ins for faster better volume control to your monitors, 2 going to a tape deck for recording to tape, 2 going to a stereo headphone distribution, man you can use them all up in a hurry if you really want to... the s/pdif outs are perfect for going to an outboard reverb, like a Lexicon 200, without having to convert back to analog and then to digital... keeps things pure... you can use em, for sure.

so the outs don't ncessairly mean that you are only gettin the single track that is aligned with it?

like input one to output one

what i mean is
the inputs and outputs are seperate right

so I could have all 10 inputs goin in to my computer in nuendo and just use one of the outputs for the monitors
and still get the sound from all of the tracks?

then i could use another output for another set of monitors
and possibly headphones,tape deck,etc?

if this is true then this might be the card for me

I was looking into the 66 but maybe the 1010 might be for me

"the inputs and outputs are seperate right "

- Yes

"so I could have all 10 inputs goin in to my computer in nuendo and just use one of the outputs for the monitors
and still get the sound from all of the tracks?"

- You would more than likely use two outputs so it is stereo, unless you dig mono.

- You could run other outputs to a tape deck. For headphones you would want to go from the outputs to some type of amp and a way to regulate the volume.

- All these outputs are handy, but are best utilized in combination with a real mixer.

yeah i would definitely be using a mixer with this setup

and stereo is for sure a must

I'm actually thinkin of the delta omni with the 66

I don't really think i need 10 ins and outs but t6 might be sufficient

thanks for all the replies so far guys

Mizchif,

Just wanted to make sure you realize that the Delta 1010 has only eight analog ins and outs -- the other two come via stereo S/PDIF digital ports. So you need something that either takes or gives you a digital signal via S/PDIF to make use of those.

Same with the Delta 66 -- in this case it's got four analog ins and outs.

To add to the list of reasons why:

Multichannel (surround sound) mixing. 5.1 surround mixing requires 6 separate outputs.

Mizchif,
Delta 1010 is a better sounding card than 66. Even if you don't need four pairs of inputs/outputs, if you can afford it - get it.
Keep in mind though that it does not have mic preamps, while OMNI does.

Back