10 ft OK mic cable vs 25ft high-quality

endserenading81

Hello,
I want to set up my vocal recording mic the best I can.

I have a 10ft decent Monster cable .... and a 25ft Mogami cable.

I was wondering which one you would prefer to use. I heard that long runs of mic cables can cause problems.
Thanks,
R

I generally tend to go with the "use the shortest cable you can" philosophy, if for no other reason than not tripping on it or pulling my studio monitor stands over like a felled tree.

I don't know that you'd find much difference in your overall production value between those two.

My suggestion:
Create a new "Song" in your DAW of choice. This song will not be a song. Title it "Mic Test 1". Then go in to it and create a pair of tracks, one labelled "10" and the other "25". Drag in any extra tracks/loops you may need to get ready to test. One for the "beat" and one for the "chord progression" You don't have to bring in the whole production just enough to give you something to sing over. Then record a take of vocals with both and try and make the performance as matching as possible. Once done, mute the "guide tracks" listen to them and see what you've recorded. Which one sounds better?

I have several sessions/songs that are nothing more than "Amp mic'ing" or "Vocal mic test" where I tried out every combination I could think of, in terms of which mics I was using, positioning and all of that. I am by know means a master at mic's after this but man did I learn a lot along the way.

I remember this topic was discussed before. Either way, as long as the cables does NOT lose any signal, you're good to go. I use a 10ft OK mic cable and it does the job just right.

With a low impedance balanced mic output, probably up to 100m is OK.

In other words, difference between 10ft and 25ft is inconsequential, so use either without concern.

Paul

I don't think of 25' as a long cable, you wound hear any difference.

The only people that would hear a difference are the people that buy$9000 virgin made speaker cables, $1500 power leads and special anti vibration wooden knobs.

The main difference I find between good and bad cable is how long it lasts under constant use. I am not saying buy the cheap and nasty cables, but most name brands are good.

Alan.

Back