$10 Amp Better than a Valve-Jr.

mikeh

I've been playing through a POD & a J-Station for the last several years. I thought is worked fine - since guitar is not my main axe, it was a tool to dial up a guitar sound in a hurry.

Now I've bougt a couple of small low watt solid state amps over the years (for recording) and was never all that impressed. One old combo I had sitting around was a Sears 10XL - which I bought for $10 at a rummage sale (actually I bought a mic stand for $10 and the guy let me have the amp for free).

I never tried it and it just sat with the other combos that I no longer used. So recently I bought an Epiphone Valve Jr. head (after so many people here talked them up). I picked up a Sonic 2x12 and a 1x10 cab and started to really like the tone (as my playing has gotten better I now am in search of guiter tone - rather than guitar sounds).

So, I decided to compare the Epiphone to my other small solid state combos (Marshall, Fender, Peavey & Roland) and naturally the EPI sounded better than all of them (although the Marshal Lead 12 is by far the best sounding of my solid state amps).

Since I'm playing around, I pull out this old Sears and turn it on. Nothing happens and I figure it's dead, Then all of a sudden some sound comes out and I realize that it's a tube amp (it has an enclosed back and I never even bothered to check).

So I start playing with it and it actually sounds better than the Valve Jr. - so I do a quick internet search and find out this thing is from like the late 50' or early 60's.

Suddenly, I have this amazing tone that I did not thing I was capable of getting - from a 40 plus year old $10 amp that's been collecting dust for about 5 years. I feel like a fool that I did not know what I had - but now that I know......WOW!!!!!

In the 80's this guy I knew picked up an old no name tube amp at a garage sale for $5. It was about 14 inches tall, 10 inches wide, open back with a 6 inch speaker and an input, volume and on/off switch.
It wasn't very loud at all, but cranked it sounded just like old KISS. I offered him a few hits of acid for it, but he refused.

mharr552000 said:
In the 80's this guy I knew picked up an old no name tube amp at a garage sale for $5. It was about 14 inches tall, 10 inches wide, open back with a 6 inch speaker and an input, volume and on/off switch.
It wasn't very loud at all, but cranked it sounded just like old KISS. I offered him a few hits of acid for it, but he refused.

KISS!!!

that must have been some trip!

I have no doubt it sounds much better than a stock Valve Junior.

But since I upgraded the tubes in mine with a JJ EL84 and a TungSol 12AX7 I have achieved "God tone" and would love to compare the two side by side! :)

I've been reading up on tubes and I plan to upgrade the tubes in the Valve Jr. - I havn't even looked at the tubes in the Sears - but I suspect an upgrade would not be a bad thing.

I miss being a drummer - all I had to know about were stick, heads and wingnuts :D

Heyooo

I have a little fender music man I love to death. you gotta crank the shit out of it but you can get some awesome disortion. New tubes wouldn't be a bad idea for that one either...

Jonah

Buck62 said:
I have no doubt it sounds much better than a stock Valve Junior.

But since I upgraded the tubes in mine with a JJ EL84 and a TungSol 12AX7 I have achieved "God tone" and would love to compare the two side by side! :)

Valve Jr... I'll keep you posted, but I'm doing a full out upgrade, getting rid of the brown globs and a new output transformer. At that point, I think it will be something to truly reckon with although the tubes make a huge difference. It's a neat little amp, but they cut some corners, just have to remake some 90 degree angles...

The Sears amp... oh my, I love those things, are teh tubes teh typical all American five or is it using radio tubes? They're so low wattage that you might not even need to swap anything. I'd bet it has RCAs in it if I had to wager. Part of what you like I'm sure is that small speaker tone. Can't get it out of big 12s and such. Man I love those little combos. My favourite of mine is a Magnatone Starlet. One knob, two imputs, amazing tone. One imput is as clean as can be, the other one just grits and sings.

Back