1 vs. 2 channel on 1176 and LA-2A???

89gtsleeper

OK, so I'm bored sitting at work right now, and making a wishlist of things I'd like to buy one of these days. I have used and always wanted to own, an1176 and an LA-2A. I've known about the two channel versions of each for quite some time. However, not until today did I notice the very small price difference between single vs. two channel designs. Do the units truly share the same components, or did they cut any corners when making the 2 channel? I mean, the price difference on the LA-2A is 2999 to 3499. The 1176 designs are 1999 to 2799. What do you knowledgable folks know. Talk to me people. Thanks a bunch. -Matt

OK, so I'm bored sitting at work right now, and making a wishlist of things I'd like to buy one of these days. I have used and always wanted to own, an1176 and an LA-2A. I've known about the two channel versions of each for quite some time. However, not until today did I notice the very small price difference between single vs. two channel designs. Do the units truly share the same components, or did they cut any corners when making the 2 channel? I mean, the price difference on the LA-2A is 2999 to 3499. The 1176 designs are 1999 to 2799. What do you knowledgable folks know. Talk to me people. Thanks a bunch. -Matt

Adding a second channel is much cheaper than adding another power supply, case, wiring, pots, knobs etc. That is why there is a small price difference between the two. The other thing is the NEW Universal Audio stuff is not in the same league as the originals. Like Neumann and Telefunkin, these live mostly on their past reputation alittle too much.

Well, I mean it's obvious to assume there aren't quite as many actual parts needed to make the two channel version as opposed to 2 of the single channel versions, but other units from other companies aren't comparable in price structure. Example, look at the single vs. dual channel Distressors. It's basically the exact same price no matter how you get buy two channels. That's why I brought this up with the UA stuff.

I guess if you inflate the price of the single channel version enough in the first place, adding a second channel for only the actual cost of the parts plus maybe 50% for profit, and voila, you have the 2 channel version.

and no I'm not being sarcastic or bitter. those are classic bits of gear, so the market price of $2000 or $3000 or whatever for a single channel is probably quite appropriate, even if it does mean there's a huge profit on every sale. when you consider how few of these probably get sold compared to behringer mixers in the world, it's also probably necessary for them to stay in business to charge such a high margin on the initial single channel version.

but when you consider there is virtually no R&D involved in these, the price is certainly damn high for a single channel.

you can build your own single channel for several hundred dollars. no case of course, with case and ideal looking parts it might cost more like $1000 for a really pro version. but that's a steal in comparison right?

and I for one don't hear much difference between these modern re issues and the vintage units I've used. there is no doubt a subtle difference here and there. but nothing you can buy sounds like an 1176 other than an 1176 circuit. nothing. there are several 1176 models by other companies (purple?) that are great. but the UA 1176 models are also really good imho. if you know what the 1176 is good for and you need that tool in hardware form, a new UA 1176 is a great device.

but I for one am broke. :-) so it's hand built versions for me, I mean really hand built, like this guy I know put parts on a board and I'm putting it in a case and finishing the psu and so on. that's the way to do it.

and having a stereo linked comp is always a handy thing to have. I've never used a stereo 1176 on a buss or anything htat I can think of, but I know the la2a works great as a stereo bus comp in some situations.

I will also say that to me the la2a isn't as unique a tool as the 1176. I can get great opto comp sound and response from a rnla too and it's close enough to an la2a to be useful in the same ways. same with a meek stereo comp if you keep the levels low and are willing to put up with a more in your face compression style.

but 1176? you need an 1176 type circuit for sure.

cheers
Don

thanks for the great advice. On the LA-2, you nailed my intent... running stereo linked for drum bus or final mix bus. That's really why I'm hoping for the 2 channel version. I had considered a hand built version that probably can get very close to the sound, but I have practically no knowledge of electrical engineering, and I would probably trash quite a few components trying to make 1. Maybe I need to quit being a bitch though, and suck it up. I am definitely a smart person, and enjoy learning about these things, so maybe I need to get over my fears... hmmn... damnit, now it looks like my next few weeks will be spent asking millions of questions about how to do it.

a real la2a diy project requires tubes, difficult construction as a result and very high voltages as a result.

there are probably la2a type circuits that skip the tubes using fets intead at a subtle change in tone, would be much easier.

but for me? I'd just recommend you guy a rnla instead. it emulates an opto comp and does so very very well.

it's useful in teh same situations. I like it. it's not nearly as good as the la2a on vocals (edit: reworded cuz made no sense LoL), you'll find it sometimes works and other times doesn't, but it's a great tool.

actually as a stereo bus comp I use a behringer composer pro 2200 for subtle (3db or so) glue-type mixing. it's great. keep it in a balanced circuit, don't use it's single knob limiter circuit, and you'll find it's very transparent and can be used like an ssl bus comp is used but without the magic aura you get from the ssl. it does do the glue thing well though. seriously. I'm probably going to get thrown off the board for saying it though LoL

a much easier stereo comp circuit (I THINK, but I might be confused) is the ssl bus comp project itself. check them out. but I might be on drugs.

I know that the ssl 9000 mic preamps are really easy to build (plenty of components but all really standard easy to find stuff, nothing wierd, expensive or hard to find). I'm building 2 which is why I know about the mic pres, and I'm a compressor freak which is why I'm at least aware of some of the other compressor diy projects out there.

check prodigy-pro.com, the diy forum for audio engineers.

cheers,
Don

Back