#1 question

1manband

ok, i got my stuff set up and i ran into a snag with the signal flow. I will run you through all of it and someone please take a stab. here we go...............

L and R main outs of my mixer (trs) into....channel 1 and 2 of compressor(trs), here is the problem, I can come out of each channel of the comp (trs), but........... the next thing in-line is my 31 band EQ, but the EQ has only 1 (trs) in and out. so how do i get the 2 outs from the compressor into the single in, then the single out of the EQ but then go into L and R inputs on my power amp to push the mons in stereo? Is my answer a simple Y adapter?

also, does anybody know what the button marked: "in/out" on the front panel on a DOD R-432 graphic EQ mean? I have no manual.

well

your mixer, and your comressor are stereo devices,and have left and right channels.

the 31 band EQ is a MONO device, and has one channel. if you use the "y" adapter, you will loose all stereo imaging you have created by dumping it into MONO.

so... if you WANT to keep the stereo imaging, don't use the eq. go around it.

but if all your pans are centered, there is nothing hard left or right, just set up everything MONO in the first place and use it that way.

or, buy anouther 31 band eq...one left, one right.

the in and out button should be a eq in and eq out (disable) swithch, for a/b comparison of the raw and processed signal.

good luck.

You need a stereo EQ. The one you have evidently is a single channel.

In/Out - In is "on" and out is "bypassed"

John -

[EDIT]
see, this is what happens when too many people try to answer at the same time
[/EDIT]

:D

thank you gents for the info. So my option is to either get another 31 band, or get a stereo EQ huh? ok, sounds good. can i still use the one i have as an insert EQ while recording to get a great sound going to tape on a certain chanell? being as its only mono, can i use a Y adaptor there huh? Also if i need a stereo EQ, is that what i see advertised as a dual 15 band EQ? or is that just 2 chanells of EQ both in mono?

I'd go with two 31 band units... However, they should be identical - Although it shouldn't be the case, few units sound "pure" enough to use different models/brands on the same tracks and have them sound exactly the same.

However, yes, you can use the one you have as an insert on a track. If the "Y" cable you're referring to is an INSERT cable (1 TRS to 2 TS). If it's just a splitter, it'll do you no good for this.

John -

The bigger question is WHY you'd want to keep an EQ in the signal chain all the time anyways?! The compressor too, for that matter...

Even though there are no "rules", minimal signal path is almost one (a "mandatory guideline," if you will!)

If you don't need it all the time, it shouldn't be in the signal path all the time. And you definitely don't need compression & EQ all the time!

again thanks for the info. The compressor is inserted on the vocal and bass tracks mainly, the EQ inserted anywhere it needs some fine tuning, then the EQ and compressor are used when mixing for the overall output of the songs. This way i compress the vocals and maybee the bass as i record them, sometimes the drums can use some more EQ'ing than my 4 band EQ on the channel can offer (also, i had a sub-question about this; i am running from the insert of the channel to an ADAT then into different channels from there, do i even get the effect of the 4 band on the channel, or anything else that is inserted before the signal is sent out to ADAT?) Then for mixdown, i add my effects and more EQ, the EQ sometimes goes on multiple channels, sometimes on one, or sometimes it just goes on the main outputs(maybee with a little compression) for an overall level. im getting lost here................. i forgot the question already.................... just read and help........please..................

If you're driving the input of the ADAT from an insert, the EQ and the channel fader have no affect on what's going to tape.

If I was you, I'd worry more about recording it clean and adding EQ afterwards - if you have enough tracks in which to do this.

Back