1 new song and a few old ones re-mixed

stillnoname

Well, I now have 3 songs recorded in my new budget studio. I'm learning new things with every song, so it's always a good time. Still very much a newbie though. I am pretty pleased with how the latest one turned out. I put into practice some good advice from this forum. Namely: new drum skins, used the 'Recorder man' micing technique for drums (for overheads plus close mics), and layered a bunch of guitar tracks with low gain instead of 1 high gain track. It sounds much better than my 2 previous songs because of all this! Take a listen:

Not Your Style (3:37)
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=15193

If you have any suggestions on how to make it sound better, that would be great.

Since I've learned a few things lately, I have gone back and re-mixed my previous 2 songs. They still are pretty lacking due to the recording/instrument quality problems, but are better than the originals at least:

Sustain (1:41)
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=15980

Final Seconds (4:46)
http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?id=15981

Please have a listen and let me know what you think. Thanks!

So I guess either my recordings suck so bad that everyone is too embarrassed to tell me so, or you couldn't care less, or they are just so awesome that everyone is speechless ;) I have noticed that this isn't the most popular genre of music posted in this forum, so that may have something to do with it too. No one has any comments or suggestions?

Sounds good to me! I would like to hear some vocals in it myself to see how it would all come together in the end (unless they're meant to be instrumental). I liked the style and instrumentation though!

Jen :)

I find that if you participate by critiquing other people's music you will receive more feedback on your tunes. It's a shame but a lot of people tend to drop by, post a song, get discouraged and never come back. It's a real give and take situation and so I would recommend that when you do drop by you critique a few other songs while waiting for a response to yours.

Now on to your mix (1ST SONG). There's a bit of a reverb buildup on the drums during the first 30 seconds or so of the song. It's difficult to explain but it's like a foldback coming through. It disappears after that. The rest of the song sounds excellent and I don't have any recommendations. Do you have plans to add vocals to the song? Just wondering. That would require some tweaks to the mix probably but you don't know until they are introduced.

:D:):D:)

Thanks for the responses! Unfortunately I am a terrible singer, so I have no plans to add vocals to the songs at this point. I know some of them are designed to have vocals, so it may seem a little empty without them.

I'll have another listen to the 1st 30 seconds. I didn't intentionally add more reverb to the first part, but I'll see what I can do.

I agree that it probably is better to participate in other posts, ido1957. I'll give it shot one day. For now, I have to go though. Thanks again for the responses.

Back