1/4" input mic options?

baniak

Hi,

I'm kinda sorta looking at getting a Tascam 106 mixer, which only has 1/4" inputs... and no phantom power

I was wondering what are my options for running mics through it:

What (quality) mics have 1/4" outputs and don't require phantom power? Dynamics, etc??

Do most outboard mic preamps have phantom power built into them? Could I just put a condenser mic with XLR cable into a mic preamp and then run a 1/4" cable from the preamp to one of the mixer's channels?

Right now this is purely theoretical, I've got to do more research, etc.

Any options?

Thanks

baniak said:
What (quality) mics have 1/4" outputs and don't require phantom power? Dynamics, etc??

No quality mics (made today) will have 1/4" outputs. You'll need an XLR->1/4" transformer/adapter. They'll be ~$25 or more. This will only work properly if your mixer can take mic level signals though.

Do most outboard mic preamps have phantom power built into them?

Yes, most do.

Could I just put a condenser mic with XLR cable into a mic preamp and then run a 1/4" cable from the preamp to one of the mixer's channels?

Yes, that is exactly what external mic preamps are for. If your mixer doesn't have channels that are switchable between line & mic levels, it might be your only good option. Also, a condensor mic isn't why a mic preamp is required...all microphones will benefit from better preamplification.

Whether you need to buy condensor mics or dynamic mics or whatever kind of mics really depends more on the specific situation. Most people have a number of various types of microphones.

Slackmaster 2000

Back