1/2" 2 track ATR-100

evm1024

I picked up a 1/2" 2 track headblock for my ATR104 1/2" 4 track. After some days of fixing and testing and in general learning the ATR I've done the first calibration on it with the 1/2" 2 track heads.

There was the odd moment where when going by the book I could not get it to overbias 499 properly but heck, who goes by the book. I found a way to make it work.

I'm hoping to get out this week to record a pipe organ. Now that the deck is ready it is up the the churches and organists schedules to make it happen. The play is to take those Apex 205 ribbons (with screens removed and Lundahl's installed) run them into a DIY Great River MP2 and thus into the deck at 15 ips.

I'm thinking that the mics will be blumlein rather than a spaced pair.

I'll post up some photos later and if I can get this recording session going a few from it as well.

Regards, Ethan

PS anybody need any 1 pass Quantegy 1" 499? I'll trade for some 1/2" ATR magnetics. PM me and see what we can work out.

Photo and such

Log time no post.....

This is the #1 ATR. I put in a new Mike Spitz (ATR Services) urathane mastering capstan which frees up the aluminum capstan for ATR #2.

Added some walnut for class. Calibrated to 520 nWb/m and biased for ATR tape.

Sounds very nice.

I've been too busy elsewhere to spend much time on this BBS or working on the decks. But I did have a productive Memorial Day weekend.

Here is a photo of the 1/2" and the 1/4 and 1/2 side by side.

--Ethan

Attachments

• IMG_6002a.jpg
    IMG_6002a.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6001a.jpg
    IMG_6001a.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 49
Back