$1,000.00 Question??

Jeazii

I currently am looking at making some additional purchases for my small home studio. I am thinking I need to buy some decent mic pres and possibly a good outboard compressor. I am currently using a presonus firepod which has 8 channels with pres. I've heard that these are decent but not great. My budget is about $1K and would like to be able to have at least 2 good channels. Should I spend all the money on getting really decent pres our shuld I buy outboard compressors also ( I have Waves gold). I was looking at the DMP3's which seem to be pretty popular. Whould I notice a big difference between the firepod and DMP3? I already have great mics so please don't suggest buying better mics! These need to be primarily for kick/snare but would also like something that would be good for vocals as well. So should I buy lower end pres along with outboard compressors or should I spend it all on pres. What would make the biggest difference. Any suggestions on how to spend my money are appreciated. Sorry for the rambling newbie post.

Jeazii said:
I was looking at the DMP3's which seem to be pretty popular. Whould I notice a big difference between the firepod and DMP3?

No you probably wouldn't. They are both classified as lower end pres.

With $1000 I would probably recomend getting the RNC or the RNLA which ever you prefer, and then spending the rest on a really nice pre. If you must get a set then do what you must but then you would be moving back into the mid range and probably not noticing any difference.

I've been looking at the RNC which would be great because I would have 2 channels of compression. So, I got $800 for 2 mic pres. What to do? What about a GT brick or Joe Meek 3Q? Suggestions?

Skip the compressor. Get a Great River 1NV and you are done. You can compress after the fact and it's more important getting a larger than life audio image. This requires a decent front end. The downside, it’s only a single channel but very good.

If you try to compromise and get both a preamp and compressor for $1000, after the newness wears off you will realize that the sound of your recordings is still not up to par. The best sound I have captured, and I have used a lot of low end gear, did not compare to a one time rental of a Great River. I ended up buying a Neve 5012 but this is a little more money but it is dual channel.

I had a DMP3, RNP, Soundcraft (various low end mixers) in preamps and a DBX160-XT, Art and Joe Meek compressor. The Joe Meek compressor can be really nice on some things i.e. driving rock vocals and the DBX 160XT is one of the best values in compressors for a home recordist. The rest I would mark under use for instruments or background vocals that did not need presence in the mix.

I know this sounds harsh and a lot of guys here will argue about getting great results but these are exceptions and not the rule in my experience. But if you have this amount of cash do yourself a favor.

If you are still intent on getting both for a grand I will suggest a couple of the better combos I have come across in that price range.

- Chameleon 7602 www.chameleonlabs.com $700 preamp with a $200 used DBX 160XT.
- Focusrite Voicemaster Pro (Compressor is OK not great) overall a decent box but the Chameleon is better in the preamp area. About $550 used and you can still get a DBX and then have two compressors.

My first recommendation is the Great River because if you have the Wave plugs, there are some really decent compressors in that suite.

Middleman said:

I know this sounds harsh and a lot of guys here will argue about getting great results but these are exceptions and not the rule in my experience...

I'm a real fan of the DMP3 and I am extremely happy with my BBE Maxcom compressor. But I agree with you 100 %. These are (well, not "low end," but) entry to mid level performing units. If you're looking to make the greatest single change with a thousand dollar bill, you can do it with a good preamp. It'll probably be a single channel though, as people here have said.

Some day I'll need to do the same. But the wallet is saying "no" right now...

Middleman said:
I know this sounds harsh and a lot of guys here will argue about getting great results but these are exceptions and not the rule in my experience. But if you have this amount of cash do yourself a favor.

I'd be really interested in hearing some sort of evidence of support for this assertion. Would love to hear something you recorded with it that had the "larger than life audio image," compared with some of the lower-grade project studio stuff you've used in the past.

Won't be able to help you there. I sold my RNP and DMP3 last year. I kept the DBX 160XT however. I track mainly through the Portico 5012s now.

Dot (Dan Richards) site can help you though. Go to www.thelisteningsessions.com and you can compare for yourself, although, I don't think the DMP3 is on his site. The RNP might be, its been awhile since I was over there. I know the VTB-1 and the Voicemaster Pro are there however. Listen to these next to a John Hardy, Great River or even the Portico. If you have some decent monitors you will hear the difference.

I know you're looking for a challenge but you have been around long enough to know what I'm talking about. Higher end preamps make a considerable difference. Sorry, I just didn't feel like biting....

Back