003+ with mbox 2 help?

michaelSHK

So I just upgraded from an mbox 2 to a 003 rack+. I am trying to figure out how, or if i can, to use both interfaces at once, giving me 10 XLR inputs. Is the answer to connect the two via S/PDIF?

I am a bit lost, so any help would be appreciated.

well, the mbox is there. but i believe it's there as a usb interface. i have spdif selected as the optical format for the 003, and i have spdif selected as the clock source for the mbox. i'm not sure if that's how i should have it.

in the I/O setup, it just shows the 003. my spdif paths show up as inactive, but i really don't know anything at all about spdif or how i should have this set up, or even if the way to do it would be through spdif.

it seems that you can only have one active interface, right? so even if i am able to get the mbox inputs working via spdif, i won't have any of the playback on the mbox.

i'll call digidesign in the morning. i was just seeing if anyone had a quick answer over the weekend.

Alright, so, for anyone who might have this same question someday, I just talked with Digidesign. They were super knowledgeable and helpful.

The mbox 2 does not feed constant output from the pres to spdif. The mbox 2 pro does. It's the only member of the mbox family that does. So, in the case of the mbox 2, I can use my inputs, iffffff I'm routing it through a session on another computer, telling the inputs to output to spdif.

As I have PT on my laptop, that would be no problem. It's not the greatest solution ever, but if I ever needed 2 more inputs, it'll work.

So I just upgraded from an mbox 2 to a 003 rack+. I am trying to figure out how, or if i can, to use both interfaces at once, giving me 10 XLR inputs. Is the answer to connect the two via S/PDIF?

I am a bit lost, so any help would be appreciated.

ok first off, protools only works with one interface at a time, and as you probably kno it will only work with digiface interfaces that come with the package.. the best thing to do would be to sell both interfaces adn buy a big one,

rival studios

ok first off, i don't like protools and i think that you should be using something else... the best thing to do would be to sell both interfaces adn buy a system that i approve of

rival studios

fixed to reflect what you really meant to say

to the OP:
really though if i were you i would try to sell the mbox 2 and use the funds to finance an ADAT based 8 channel pre/converter. you'd get more channels and preamps all at the same time. that is of course unless you still need the mbox2 for some reason. don't let the debbie downers push you away from protools LE if it's where you want to be. it definitly has it's pluses.

fixed to reflect what you really meant to say

to the OP:
really though if i were you i would try to sell the mbox 2 and use the funds to finance an ADAT based 8 channel pre/converter. you'd get more channels and preamps all at the same time. that is of course unless you still need the mbox2 for some reason. don't let the debbie downers push you away from protools LE if it's where you want to be. it definitly has it's pluses.

+1..beleive it or dont..the behringer ada8000 sound good, I used it with the 003 and worked fine!!

i am definitely happy with 8 pres instead of 2 for now. i was just seeing if i could get the bonus 2 running at the same time.

i still use the mbox for quick mobile stuff.

and if i need to upgrade in the future i'll get another pre and connect via ADAT.

LE definitely works for me at the moment. :D

thanks guys.

Back