003 rack+ preamp question

stayouttamalibu

hi all, a question regarding the preamps in the 003 rack+. ive read that the preamps in the 003 are a big improvement over the 002, and im wondering if the 8 pres in the new 003 rack+ are identical to the ones in the regular 003. on the digidesign site the specs on the 4 pres of the 003 and the 8 pres of the 003 rack+ dont exactly match.

here are the specs for the 003 rack+ -

Connector: Eight balanced XLR jacks
Mic Phantom Power: 48V
Frequency Response: +0.0 / -0.25 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Dynamic Range: 103 dB / 106 dB A-weighted
THD + N: 0.0007% (-103 dB)
Input Sensitivity: +6.4 dBu
Gain Range: +18 – +65 dB
Gain Range (Pad engaged): -0 - +45 dB

and the specs for the 003 rack (which are also identical to the regular 003) -

Connector: Four balanced XLR jacks
Mic Phantom Power: 48V
Equivalent Input Noise: -129 dBu
Frequency Response: +/- 0.1 dB, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
Dynamic Range: 105 dB / 107 dB A-weighted
THD + N: 0.0007% (-103 dB)
Mic EIN: -129 dBu
Input Sensitivity: +2.2 dBu
Input Impedance: 2K Ohm
Gain Range: +18 – +65 dB

does the fact that the specs on the 003 and 003 rack are identical, yet the new rack+ is different, mean anything? sorry for the lengthy post, i am just weighing my options and trying to decide whether or not to opt for the rack+ as i would like the additional pres, but not at the cost of the improved quality that is understood to exist in the new 003 pres. thanks!

i can't say for sure but i would be very surprised if they have changed at all. you would think that DIGI would have made something of it in the advertisements if they had

i would think the same thing, but then why would the specs be identical on the 003 and 003 rack but different on the rack+? it just doesnt make sense.

i can't say for sure but i would be very surprised if they have changed at all. you would think that DIGI would have made something of it in the advertisements if they had

Not if the specs had gone down they wouldn't.

The 003 and 003R look to be slightly better. I wonder if maybe they had to cheap out a couple of things to jam 8 pres into the box?

Now I don't know the answer to the original question, but I would have felt that they wouldn't make a song and dance over the fact that the preamps are different because the 003R and 003 Factory are still being sold.

If they state that the 003R+ has better preamps, then sales of the other two may well go down.

Not if the specs had gone down they wouldn't.

The 003 and 003R look to be slightly better. I wonder if maybe they had to cheap out a couple of things to jam 8 pres into the box?

this is exactly my concern. id rather have 4 higher quality pres than 8 of lesser quality.

this is exactly my concern. id rather have 4 higher quality pres than 8 of lesser quality.

honestly i think you are better off buying the regular version anyway and springing for a couple of DMP3s or something. this will allow you to use really nice pre's later on when you want to, and you will want to.

on the 003r+ you are stuck going through the preamp even when you use the line inputs. on the 003r you have 4 straight up line inputs that you can do what you want with.

honestly i think you are better off buying the regular version anyway and springing for a couple of DMP3s or something. this will allow you to use really nice pre's later on when you want to, and you will want to.

on the 003r+ you are stuck going through the preamp even when you use the line inputs. on the 003r you have 4 straight up line inputs that you can do what you want with.

yeah, that makes sense, thanks for the input.

do you have any other gear at the moment? i made the switch to 003r from mbox2 pro in the last few months and it's been great so far.

i have the original mbox, but ive been using an 002 lately that isnt mine. just moved into a new house and ready to set up a halfway respectable home studio (sans drum room). buying a new macpro as soon as they announce the new revision most likely. i also have a pair of genelec 1030a monitors and a few pretty decent mics, couple 57s, a beta 52, sm81 and ksm32 amongst a couple others that i cant think of at the moment. as soon as i get the new mac im getting the 003.

Back