003 and external converters

jmorris

I have very nice external a/d converters/clock,16 channels.If I were to purchase an digidesign 003,while I see it has word clock that I can use the clock in the external conveter.What about how to use the converters themselves? I'm a bit unsure how this would be setup.
Thanks

shouldnt this be in one of the equipment forums? this doesnt really have anything to do with protools.

i dont really understand the question your asking

if you want to connect your AD convertor to a digi 003 the information of how to do that is very BASICALLY explained in the pro tools setup guide that comes with the 003.

if you need more help with that you should be able to easily find that information by doing a google search.

I have not bought an 003 so...no guide. I only have an mbox and it can not use external converters. It is a specific question about protools setup hense the posting in the protools section. I feel either section for this post would be fine.

from my guide, i shortened some parts obviously

USING WORD CLOCK WITH PROTOOLS LE

-using high quality, 75 ohm BNC cables, connect the 003 word clock in and out connectors to the appropriate ports on your word clock capable devices.

PT LE as a word clock master
1. make sure all connections are correct
2. configure all external devices to slave to the word clock coming from the 003 interface. (be sure to match the sample rate setting of the pro tools session, and verify the termination requirements and other internal settings for the device; see the manufacturers documentation for the requirements for your other equipment)
3. launch pro tools
4. choose Hardware > Setup
5. Click the Clock source pop-up menu and select internal
6. click OK

PT LE as a word clock slave

1. make sure all connections are correct
2. make sure the external word clock source is powered on, and configured to output 1x word clock (Be sure to verify any required termination: see the manufacturers documentation for the requirements for your other equipment)
3. launch pro tools
4. choose Hardware > Setup
5. Click the Clock source pop-up menu and select word clock
6. click the sample rate pop up menu and match the sample rate of the external word clock source.
7. click ok

thanks but my question was not how to use word clock,thats a no brainer.The question was can the external converters (apogee ad16x) be used with an 003 rack. They cannot with my mbox.

thanks but my question was not how to use word clock,thats a no brainer.The question was can the external converters (apogee ad16x) be used with an 003 rack. They cannot with my mbox.

should be able to. However, you'll be limited to only the first 8 channels of ADAT.
Word clock should be fine too.

I got my 003 Rack+ last night. I plugged in an untested AKG C 2000 B I bought off of craigslist after about an hour of arranging things, installing software and setting up my monitors.

I did some test vocals just screwing around and I was saying really stupid shit. LOL it sounded pretty damn good just screwing around, no special preamps or converters :laughings:

Back